Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Source Code – Need Clipper Decompiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbbbbear

Technical User
Nov 23, 2006
AU
Hi, I have this old program that I used to run on windows 98. I have since moved it over to Windows XP and get this error: Error TERM/2014 Create error: \folder\LPT1.PRN
DOS Error 3). I wasn't sure as to the programming language and after a bit of research downloaded the Valkyrie5 demo. The program analysed the executable to be Clipper 5.x I can see the code and would dearly love to be able to get at it, but being a demo, it won't allow me to. I read about rescue5 being a decompiler too for clipper, but can't find it anywhere. I cannot afford the cost of purchasing the full version of Valkyrie5. My question is, are there any other decompilers that are freely available to perform this job for me? Or, is Valkyrie my only option. I just can't justify that sort of outlay for a one off use. Thanks for anyones help!

Hi, Pbbbbear

Dos error 3 is "path not found".

The program is trying to create a print file in a folder on the root directory of the current drive, which, according to the message, should be called "folder".

If you create such a fulder then the program should be able to create lpt1.prn in there, which should getg you past that error.

Most likely the program really wants to direct output to printer port LPT1, which is likely not available under the DOS configuration of the XP machine. But allowing it to create a disk file instead should at least allow the program to run past that point.

Jock

Thanks Jock for your reply.

I actually shortened the reported error path.
When I said “folder”, I meant the folder of the program.
It has two folder levels and so I probably should have reported the error as such below:

Error TERM/2014 Create error: \Program\ folder\LPT1.PRN

Thanks for your help

Incidentally, where do you install the “blinker” program in relation to the “Clipper” program?
Can anyone help me with this?

Also, If I have *.SRC files, how can I compile these back to *.EXE?

Thanks again

Blinker is just the linker, it doesn't really matter where it resides as long as it can find the files it needs to link.

Just rename *.SRC to *.prg and run clipper and blinker

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back