Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO SOUND WITH SOME FILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
AU
Visit site
Running Win XP Pro on a P4 System. Windows sound works as normal as does playback of DVD's with Power DVD,Media Player etc. but some MPG and WMV files play video OK in a variety of playback programs including Windows Media Player, but WITHOUT any sound. The problem just appeared overnight without any changes that I can recall. I have yet to try System Restore, in the hope I can get a simple solution here.
Thanks,
Rosco

Sounds like a codec issue.

Sometimes when you have to many codecs installed things doesn't always work.

I would recommend you to reinstall your codecs. It might even be worth removing all current codecs and then download a codec pack to install the codecs you need again.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

I would first check your volume control. I've seen this happen before where I can play a DVD because the volume is up, but when I try to play an audio file, it has no sound because the "Wave" portion is muted.

I would check this first to ensure nothing is muted.

I forgot to mention how to get there in case you are unfamiliar.

Go to Start\Settings\Control Panel

From here select "Sounds and Audio Devices". This should open up the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties window. This first tab is "Audio". From this tab, click on "Advanced"

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back