Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound with onboard realtek ac'97

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgion

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
GB
Hello.
I recently upgraded my PC with a gigabyte GA-7VA-C
motherboard and an AMD Athlon XP 2200. The motherboard has
an on board sound card (Avance AC'97 from Realtek-ALC650).
Everything seems to run well apart from the sound (no
sound). In device manager there was a black exclamation
mark (in a yellow circle) at the sound device. The message
I receive when I click properties is a Code 10: This
device is either not present, not working properly or
does not have all the drivers installed. I tried
almost everything. Remove the device, unistall the
drivers, re-install them (either by using the CD that came
with the motherboard or by leting windows find the
appropriate drivers or by downloading drivers from the
net) but nothing seems to work. The device does not appear
to have any conflicts but I also tried to change the slot
of another device that was using the same IRQ. However,
windows assigned again the same IRQ so nothing changed.
I have also tried to remove some devices and although the IRQ assigned to the sound card changed, there was still no sound.

I finally downloaded the updated drivers from realtek's site. After I install them and reboot, the computer freezes. When I press ctrl-alt-del I can see that the program that is running is cmdninst.exe. Apparently there is something wrong there and windows cannot process this operation. I need also to mention that I disabled from BIOS, the games port because if this is enabled the computer will again freeze exactly in the same way I mentioned before.

After rebooting and starting in safe mode and removing all the devices, the games port was finally installed BUT the problem with the sound remains exactly as before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The ! in a yellow circle is a driver problem.
Check that you only have one of these for the sound card, Ie delete all existences of the device, ensure you have the correct features enabled in the bios setup, have you PNP OS enabled or manual ?
Also the cd that comes with the mother board should have the correct driver for the sound, so do a browse when windows asks for the destination of the driver when it reinstalls the drivers,ensure you are clicking on the "HAVE DISK" as specify location,
Sorry if this is telling you how to suck eggs,

Which windows platform are you operating on ?

check out driver.com
This has several windows drivers depending on your version

I have Windows Me (unfortunately). The BIOS features are enabled and CD is working fine. What is weird is that all the drivers I used (the ones that came with the CD and those I downloaded from the net) produced this exclamation mark. Only when I used the updated drivers from the card's manufacturer, the exclamation disappeared (in Safe mode because in Normal mode, Windows got stuck due to cmdninst not responding).

To make a story short: use cd drivers or any other that can find on the net I get an exclamation mark with Code 10 error. Use updated drivers from realtek's website, the exclamation disappears (in safe mode) but Windows get stuck.

I have been trying to do this but unfortunately my PC had come with a CD recovery and not the ME cd.

Have got a full unregisterd version of ME if that would help ?

That's great. Can you send me the cdmninst file?

yep send email details will send when get in from work this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back