Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO SOUND SiS730S/AC' 97 on an M810LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

askIllustrator

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
DE
I am at my wits end! I can't for the life of me figure this one out. I set up an MP3 server out of old parts but is useless without sound!

Motherboard: Amptron M810LR
Chipset: Silicon Intergrated Systems 730S (SiS730S)
Codec: PCChips Audio Codec 97 (AC' 97)

I've tried drivers from SiS, PCChips, Realtek, Amptron (pack-in CD and web page), VIA and a few others. Most seem to be based on the SiS7018 driver set and install fine. The device manager gives me no flags and it says the device is working properly. So I know it's being seen and is turned on in the BIOS. I am soooo frustrated, please please please will someone help. I'm wondering if there is a better to get rid of old drivers before trying new ones besides turning the device off in the BIOS temporarily.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Oh yeah, I'm running a Duron 1.3, Win2k, and 128mgs of PCI-100.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Start with the obvious:

1)Make sure your speakers are plugged in the right jack and have power applied.
2)Make sure ALL volume controls are turned up: speakers, system mixer, multimedia, and software (WinAmp, MusicMatch, Media player or whatever)
3)Make sure none are muted.

Jim

A good tip, but alas it is not it.

yep, driver goes in, no flags in device manager and the sound card properties say this device is working properly. Triple checked all connections/volume/power settings. There web site says to install video, then sound, then LAN drivers but that doesnt work either. I think it just doesnt work but I dont understand why the rest of the board would work fine and my speakers make that little popping sound when I plug speakers into the Line-in.

I'm sure the last line of your previous post was a slip of the keys but... The speaker jack should go into the Speaker Out or Line Out socket NOT the Line In.

Can you try using the Windows Recorder, and plug in a microphone or some other sound source. Do you see the amplitude of the signal vary as you talk into the mike whilst recording? At least that will tell you if part of the sound chip is working...

I know you say the speakers "pop" when you plug 'em in, but have you actually tested them for output on a another system?

Have you tried playing a music CD on the CD-ROM, and have you checked that the audio lead is correctly connected to the right socket (usually black) on the motherboard?

Try plugging a pair of headphones into the Speaker Out/Line Out socket, but watch out for unexpected high volume in your ears. Soemtimes the on-board chipset needs an external power amp to drive speakers.

Do you have any add-in cards plugged into the mobo expansion slots? If yes, try removing 'em, just in case they're unexpectedly "pulling" an IRQ or address specifically wanted by the soundchip.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yeah I meant line-out but I tried plugging into all three jacks each time just in case. I plugged the speakers in question into my gameboy and they worked fine. I meantioned the popping sound to indicate the jacks are getting power. I'll try the mike thing but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna by a cheap PCI card. FYI, I hate just about everyone involved hardware/driver developement for being incompitent jack-asses. I would be fired/sued for such neglagence.

Do you have the onboard sound enabled in the bios?

Also make sure line out isn't muted in the master volume panel.

Currently I am turning it off in the bios between restarts and then re-enabling it between each new driver install. I'm pretty sure I put the latest BIOS on it back in Feb. when I got it I just cant remember if the sound worked then either, though I never really tried. I finally had enough spare parts to put together another PC so I pulled it out of storage. My problem now is I cant find where to check what version I have and if there is a new one. My BIOS code on the startup screen says M810LR-H but some sites say that is the same as M810LR. This board really is a hunk of crap but I've started the project so now it's a mission to finish it hehe. I was really hoping someone with some experience with these boards would respond although I appreciate you guys taking a swing at it. I doubt line out is muted by default but I'll check. Heck I'll try anything at this point.

under multi media in control panel,make sure all of you playback and recording devices are there.Click on the device tab, then double click on the speaker icon, right click on the drop down menu.Then click on properties. This will tell you the status of you playback device. Enabled or
Disabled, Present or not.

Hello - I am going through same problem and have tried everything mentioned in this thread. POSTING ANYTHING TESTED & FUITFULL WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

I finally just bought an old sound blaster and havnt looked back since.

I would also open up your system and reset your BIOS .... I have the same MB in one of my systems and it needs a kick sometimes.

Ken

One more thing this chip set may also require up to date Direct X...update them if you have not in a bit.

Ken

I upgraded BIOS, still No luck :-(( In device Manager, Everything is 100% OK. It detected everything beutifully, installed drivers. But, BUT..

In Audio Property, under Device, it says "Modem #2..." But No audio device/drivers showed up and when I start (for example) Sound Recorder, And play/record anything, it gives me a message "Another Application is recording audio. Stop application and .....". I checked TaskManager, nothing is open. AAAHHHHHH

PLEASES HELP.

Same problem, except, I have front panel connections. The speakers plugged into the front panel plug (connected to the onboard front panel audio connector block) work just fine, but no sound when plugged into the line out audio connector on the motherboard!

I'm about to remove the mobo and look at the traces to see if there is an obvious problem.

I just received a reply from a tech who installs m810dlu boards. Pins 5->6 and 9->10 need to be jumpered on the front panel audio header block for the rear audio jacks to work. This is undocumented in the wonderful pcchips manual.

Hope this helps. It worked for me.

hello, got the same problem here, mobo 810lr, no sound, device manager says it's allright, but got no sound...
even when you try to play a wav file on sound recorder the program would freeze.. also when you try to play a video in windows media player, there is no SOUND... and also if you try to install the modem (the AMR modem) the computer itself would freeze (running Windows XP)... i dont know what the heck is going here, 'cuz the pc is running fine but the sound... help me plz!! tried the BIOS Flash, tried drivers, everything... but this thing seems not to work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back