Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound on windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaMancha

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
I dont have any sound on my computer since I installed windows 200 on a new hard drive. Everything was working fine with old hard drive and windows me and then I had to install a new HD and windows 2000 on it. Since then I dont have any sound. I tried installing sound drivers but still nothing happens. I will appreciate any help very much..

thanks

Were the "sound drivers" Win 2K drivers for your audio board? What audio card are you using?

Hi LaMancha,
First check device manager to see if the sound card is properly installed. If you see any yellow ! under sound, video and game controller in device manager. Install the required driver and allocated necessary resources if necessary.

If all devices are installed properly. Then check that the speakers are plugged into the correct outlet of the sound card /mobo.

Also open the volume control and make sure the various items e.g. master volume, wave, SW Synth etc are not muted.

If everything seems ok. then try plugging another pair of speakers or earphones to see if you can hear any sound.

good luck

I had something similar recently. I had installed W2K to a new HDD and updated all the drivers, including the NVidia graphics driver and had no sound.

Strangely, reinstalling/updating DirectX fixed the problem although I have no idea why.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Unfortunately I still could not fix the problem. There are no yellow question marks at sound items in Device Manager. I dont see any volume controls anywhere. At task bar for example, there is no volume control icon.

How can I see if there is sth wrong with my sound card? How can I check my sound card?

Also how can I reinstall/update DirectX?

LaMancha,
What is listed under sound, video and game controllers in device manager?

If your sound card is not listed then make sure it is enable in CMOS (assuming your sound is on the motherboard, if it is a standalone card, turn off the computer and make sure the card is seated firmly in the slot)

If your sound card is listed then make sure you've chosen the right hardware for sound playback.

Open control panel, open sounds and multimedia, click the Audio tab. Make sure you choose your sound card in the preferred device under Sound playback (there is a drop down listing all available sound hardware)

Regards

Dear tekuser999,

I looked at sound,video and game controllers in device manager. The following are under it:
* Audio Codecs
* Legacy Audio Drivers
* Legacy Video Capture Devices
* Media Control Devices
* MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
* Standard Game Port
* Video Codecs

None of them are yellow question marked. Now how can I get to see "CMOS" ?

Also under Control Panel, Sounds and Multimedia Properties: It writes "No Playback Devices" and it is grayed out at the drop down menu.

I really appreciate your (and all others') help!! Please keep up the support.
Thanks,

Go back into the device manager and remove all those devices you listed above. Insert your driver CD and install them as if the system had just been setup. It is important to have the right drivers for win 2k, not mellenium.

Also check to make sure you have the correct chipset drivers for you motherboard. If your sound is onboard, missing or incorrect chipset drivers could prevent the sound card from being detected.

LaMancha,
Is your sound card on the motherboard?
If it is, it looks like it might have been disabled. Get into CMOS setup (usually pressing DEL on start up of computer) and look under peripherals (or similar) to find the sound and enable it. Then when you restart windows it should tell you new hardware is found. Just insert the driver cd that comes with the motherboard and let windows find the driver and install it.

If it is a stand alone sound card, might be it is not seated firmly in the slot or it is faulty. Then you will have reseat it or replace it.

Regards

Dear helpers,

I tried a couple of things:

1) I looked at my motherboard, and where the speaker connects, there is only a yellow box on top of the mother board. So I think I dont have a sound card.

2) I tried by pressing DEL while windows is opening up, to get into BIOS, and there I could not see a place to enable and get it to work.

Also I could not find my motherboard CD for the drivers..

What can I try next? Before I posted this question, I searched internet for a driver for my motherboard, but I think the only one I could find did not work for me.

Any more ideas? Also is there places that will fix this kind of a problem and wont charge an arm and leg?

On the BIOS setup page, look for a verticle "down arrow" , usually in the center of the page. On my mobo, you have to scroll down to get to the audio (and cache) settings.

LaMancha,
If you don't have a built-in sound card on your motherboard. The only way is to buy a sound card ($10 - $20).

Shut down the computer, open the case, find a vacant PCI slot and install the card then install the driver that comes with the card, plug in the speakers and you should have sound.

If you're not comfortable with installing the card, go to a computer shop and have it done. Shop around to find a good deal.

Have fun.

Hi everybody,

I just uninstalled all devices related to sound, from Control Panel / remove hardware(wizard)... etc taking care to "show all hidden devices". Then I restarted de system and everything took the right place on its own. I hope this works for you too... good luck!!

By the way... I have a win 2k ibm thinkpad and the sound died when I updated the system from microsoft site after a reinstallation form original cds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back