Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound on second-user laptop/notebook 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougpeplow

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
FR
I bought a Tecra 8000 laptop. It had no software installed.
I installed XP Prof, but altough 'Fn F4' will produce ascending beeps, no other sound emanates from the speakers or headphone sockets. All the troubleshooter options check OK, the BIOS has the sound enabled and the Windows media player runs the DVD drive and produces a 'visual' of the recording on its mixer type display; but no sound!
Any suggestions pls? - (I've read the user manual and searched TEK-TPS, but no answer except perhaps driver problems)

This may sound silly, but I've done it myself, is the sound muted in Control Panel > Multimedia?

Or another one that I've done - is the sound turned down on the computer itself, usually laptops have an external wheel to turn down the volume. Drove me nuts a couple of times, trying to get sound out of a turned down volume control.

Les

Dougpeplow
It is likely that you will have to visit the manufactures website and download the drivers for this model.
XP is good but it can't have every driver for every bit of hardware in it's data base.
Also check in device manager to see if anything else has a yellow question mark next to it (indicating that it isn't working properly) there could be other devices requiring specific drivers.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Lesgray
Thanks-I'm RED FACED but half-way there now - at least I know the speaker/headphone h/ware is ok. Still to get the DVD to play music, but that's t-morrows problem

Micker
Sorry my reply not clear,- it was to 'Lesgray' the 2nd respondent, who suggested I try the physical volume control on the laptop - hence my RED-FACE !! - thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back