Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No sound heard through speaker whilst viewing an online video

Status
Not open for further replies.

camille1973

Technical User
Jul 4, 2010
AU
My Altec Lansing Orbit USB IML 237 computer speaker is having a problem with sound, when viewing a video online. I have had the speaker for about 2-3 years, the company I bought my computer from recommended it. Anyway when I adjust the volume in the computer itself, I hear the ding, but when I want to hear the sound in an online video no sound is heard. I have no trouble hearing the sound whilst viewing a video on my computer though. I haven't had any problem with the speaker up until now. I looked at Altec Lansing's forum and it seems as though the same problem I have haven't had any help, so I thought that some here may be able to help me. Could someone please help me solve this problem?

By the way my computer has Windows 7 installed.

Sorry for being in a rush, but I have just realised that this post should be in the Hardware Issues forum. Could someone please move it there?

Once again sorry but I have just solved the problem.

The solution was to change the Default Format in the Advanced tab of the Speakers Properties to 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality).

Glad you figured it out, just as a note, if anything on the computer produces a sound from the speaker, it can't be the speaker that is the problem. It has to be a setting on the computer. In 25 years working on computers, I've seen only a dozen or so times, where bad speakers are the cause of a sound issue. It is much more likely that it is a driver or configuration issue on the computer.

Thank you rclarke250 for your tip. I am glad that it was simple as it was and that I didn't have to purchase another speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back