Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrichek

MIS
Nov 18, 2003
US
Hi guys,
one of my coworkers recently bought a laptop with integrated wireless card 802.11b/g and it won't receive any signals. we have 4 wireless signals in our range, any ideas? I can't see where its disabled, anyway to test it?
Its not in the bios, not anywhere i can find it.
any help will be appreciated. Winxp home by the way

My laptop has a button underneath the display to enable/disable the radio.

OMG - had the same problem and this was the same reason - bought a PCMCIA card too - DOH!!

Thanks!

To all the DOHs -

I rolled out a lot of new Centrino-based laptops, and receve a support call daily about this same issue.

You might identify exactly the adapter used, and the current driver version. For some of the Intel-based adapters, for some of the notebook brands, you can make a registry change to force the radio to be enabled at Startup.

You should check too whether there is a newer driver for your notebook. Some of the newer drivers have the option as a configurable option.

But I had the same DOH? experience when I first got the shipment of new notebooks.

My sympathies to all the DOHs out there,
Bill Castner

I found on this brand of laptop (Averatec) that there is a light on the side indicating the wireless adapter is turned on. Of course reading the manual will help in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back