Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No signal over 150ft of Cat-5 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

drfish

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
US
Hey, I've got a Netopia 3546 DSL router hooked up to a computer over 150ft of Cat-5. I had the cable tested before I ran it across the ceiling at it was fine, but I can't get link lights from it now that it's up so no connection to the web/network... Any ideas?

It was tested by the guys at the computer shop I bought it from... I put the ends on myself because they wanted $30[!] to do it... I don't know their exact methods of testing, but they said it was fine...

They may have tested for DC continuity, but not for proper pairing of the signals. Cut the plugs off, install Cat-5 Jacks on each end, and use pre-made patch cords to go from the jack to the PC, and the other jack to the router.

On *both* ends the wires inside go (from left to right) - Solid Green - > Striped Green -> Solid Orange -> Striped Orange -> Solid Brown -> Striped Brown -> Solid Blue -> Striped Blue. I can also see all the wires are all the way up if I look at it from the front. When I stick the end in the router the light on the router blinks at a steady speed, but there is no link light at all on the computer. Turning off near by florescent lights doesn't help... The only other thing up there besides concrete is old metal pipes for a sprinkler system, some metal air tubing, electrical conduit, and some big metal halide lights... Are those my problem?

The color code that you quoted is your problem. You need to have pairs on 1&2 (you're good there), 7&8 (you're good here also), 3&6 (you've split pairs here) and 4&5 (split again)

If you want to follow a "standard" color code, use this:

White/Orange, Orange/White, White/Green, Blue/White, White/Blue, Green/White, White/Brown, Brown/White

You need to be using crimp-on plugs that are designed for solid copper wire, as opposed to stranded wire (solid is used for in the walls, and it what you buy in the 1000' boxes at Home Depot), while stranded is used for flexible patch cords. Using the wrong plugs for the type of wire that you have can cause bad or intermittant connections.

Again, the best solution is to put a jack on each end, because they are designed for that type of wire, and use premade factory patch cords to connect from the jacks to the equipment on each end.

that cable isn't wired correctlly,should read:- Striped orange,solid orange,striped green,Solid blue,striped blue,solid green,striped brown solid brown.......

So 3 and 6 are NOT a pair as 3 is solid orange and 6 is striped brown

1 & 2 are a pair, solid green and striped green

The link I gave above shows the standard for the color codes, but the important part for the signal is to make 1 & 2 a pair and 3 & 6 a pair

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

(I think Touch Tone Tommy, DRGL and I all wrote at the same time, there was no replies when I started writing, or I would not have beat it into the ground)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Question the guys at the "computer shop" about their test methods and such. A real shop would not make this mistake. They aren't helping anyone except themselves on service calls. This would work on dumb terminals but not on computers using ethernet. The way you read colors L to R is with the copper tangs on top looking at you. FYI

Why is there never a phone in the phone closet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back