Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No signal input message

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeeatTT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2008
GB
Hi,

I have a PC that when turned on just shows "No signal input".

I tried using a different monitor / connection cable - it made no difference.

So I thought it was a faulty onboard video or video card, so I installed a PCI video card inside and it's made no difference.

Is there any other component (other than the mainboard which wouldn't be worth replacing) that could be causing this problem ?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,
Julia Evams

Check your BIOS settings. If the BIOS has a setting for video, try changing the setting from Automatic to Onboard or whatever the choices are.

Well, the power supply will also cause it. The video isn't processing. And that may be because the processor isn't processing, and that leads to the whole set of diagnostices to find out why.

@BFOJ - LOL... if he can't get a video output signal, even when using a PCI card, then how in the world is he going to check the BIOS?

I am with Ed, that the cause can be PSU related, since there is no mention of anything else but the video issue, it could well be that the HS-Fan, CPU, wrong RAM modules, etc. is the cause of the dilemma...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

BadBigBen, good point about not being able to view the BIOS. Me bad!!!

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I'd never thought of checking the power supply unit, but it's something I can do tomorrow as I always keep one in stock.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards,
Julia

Just fitted a new power supply - still no video input

(in fact, now I don't even get the words "No signal input" !!)

The other strange symptom that I completely forgot to mention before is that when you want to shut it down, the power button doesn't work - you have to unplug the cable from the back.

Is it worth checking the RAM chips (or am I perhaps "flogging a dead horse" now) ??

If there's nothing more I can do (and perhaps its the mainboard), what's the best way to environmentally dispose of the PC ?

Regards,
Julia

What is the status of the power button on the front of the computer?

What I tend to do in a situation like this is to remove all the external items (except the monitor), adapter cards, unplug the Optical and Hard Drives.

And/or remove all memory modules but one and test each module.

The minimum needed to boot is mainboard, CPU, 1 stick of RAM, graphics, and a PSU. Make sure you connect all the power connectors from the PSU to the MB & graphics card if needed.

Tony

Users helping Users...

unplug the Optical and Hard Drives.
from the mainboard...

and then do as Tony (wahnula) mentioned...

if that does nothing for revival...

what's the best way to environmentally dispose of the PC ?
LOL... sell it on eBay... seriously, that would depend on where you live in the world...

EU (Germany anyhow) has collection centers for all electronic equipment and it costs nothing to dump...

US - I do not know, there might be some collection centers around that are willing to take it off your hand... (them there be gold in them hills)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Well, if you had mentioned that the power shutdown didn't work at the beginning we would have told you the M/B had issues with the standby circuit and that the M/B is toast, er..toasted, er.. fried.

If the standby doesn't work, you'll never get the full power up.

Now the issue with the loss of video disconnect error message may be something else, but possibly related to power again.

Depending on the age of the M/B this could be related to the "bulging capacitor" issue. See if the capacitors have rounded tops or evident leakage. Capacitors look like minerature water towers sticking up from the board.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

As for dumping your old gear, I have luck posting to my local Freecycle group (
I stay subscribed for entertainment purposes...you never know what is going to be offered! Just yesterday I saw a post for a "framed picture of a duck" and last week someone was begging for a rooster because theirs had died and the grandchildren are distraught....before that "the hamster has been taken"...good stuff.

I find that when I post old PCs, monitors and bits it takes about a week to get them picked up.

There are municipal recyclers too, but they're not open when I'm available.

Tony

Users helping Users...

1) Do you see hard drive activity when you turn the PC on? The HDD LED should flash repeatedly within a few seconds (after the system POST completes).

2) Are there any red LED's flashing or do you hear any beeps? Even if it's not an error code, many motherboards will beep once when the POST completes to let you know it was successful.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back