Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Signal from Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanoo

Technical User
Aug 8, 2001
US
I've just recently built my own computer the specs are as follows: MSI 845M MB, P4 1.7Ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR, 60GB HDD. Upon startup my monitor light goes from green to amber and I get no video, I also don't here the beep I would expect to here if my Vid card was not seated right or was faulty. This is also the first time this computer has been started, I checked how the ram and vid card were seated, seemed fine, I then check all cables and the CPU all seems well, acording to the motherboard manufacturer and ATI the video card is the right kind and should work. Could the problem be that my PSU is not strong enough? It's 300w. Thanks in advance.

I will say for sure you need no less than a 350 watt psu I would spend the extra fwew bucks for a 400 with a P4. I dont think this is your problem however. How sure are you about the monitor? It does sound like you are getting a video signal because of the light going from green to amber. I use a Radeon 8500 128 DDR card in a machine I just built and they are very fine products I have used ATI for at least 15 years. Never a bad card. I assume you are using and AGP Radeon card. Make sure it is plugged into the agp slot and not a PCI. Let me know what happens.

It is plugged into the AGP slot, but I will try a new monitor and let you know how it goes. Thaks for the suggestion

I just remembered something else, make sure AGP is activated in the bios. AGP is usually the default but it might not be. I have experienced that problem also. If pci is selected as the vid source you will get this problem.

I can't check the bios because I can't see it.

The monitor works on another computer, do you have any ideas how I can get vidoe at least so that I can get inot the BIOS?

Do you hear any beeps at all? If not, try removing the memory and switching on again - you ought to get quite a few beeps for a "no memory" situation. Sounds to me like the whole system is not starting. Disconnect all power and ribbon cables to all the drives, unplug any cards other than your video card, disconnect the front panel l.e.d.s and reset switch, so you are just leaving your front panel "power on" switch connection. If still no video at this point, switch off and CLEAR CMOS. Also, try changing the PSU for something more meaty as has been suggested by LoneAdmin. Can you get the video card checked on another machine?

ROGER - GØAOZ.

No I don't here any beeps, but I have verified that the case speaker is connected properly. I'll try removing the memory and see what happens, I wouldn't have thought of that. I have already cleared the CMOS and still got nothing. I have just ordered a 400w PSU so hopefully that will help

Check the manual for any jumperable/dip switchable settings. My board, bought within the last year still has 'em so yours might. Also check that the RAM dip switch/jumper is set right... If there are absolutly no dip switches/jumpers on your board besudes the bios reset try using a cheapo pci video card and see if that kicks the monitor on.

I removed the RAM and started her up, still nothing.

Does everything seem to power up? I mean, does the fans on your CPU etc start, does your HD spin up and so forth

If taking out the memory doesn't produce any beeps, then the CPU is not up and running. Try re-seating CPU, carefully clean and re-apply heatsink compound, etc. I'd still suspect the PSU...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Everything does power up, case and CPU fan start case lights up cd-roms and HDD get power. I'll try reseating the CPU and I have a enermax 400wPSU on it's way :)

While all connectors, devices, RAM and cards removed from your system, CPU seated properly and heatsink in place, just connect PS-On, speaker and reset conenctors. After powering on if you don't hear beep, wait for a minute and then press Reset button. If M/B and CPU are live, you should hear beep. If not either of the two or both are faulty.

If you here beep, then either Power supply is improper/bad or M/b requires repairs for reset problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back