Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no sign-on at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2001
US
I think I need a registry hack. I am unable to get windows to give me a logon at boot. The pc boots straight to windows without having the user logon. I must select log on as a different user to get a sign-on. I brought the pc into the domain and loaded everything I needed off the server (custom apss that I've loaded on hundreds of machines). I then load the pcAnywhere, then the policy editor. I have checked permissions in the control panel... Under user profiles I selected, User can Customize. I selected windows logon in network neighborhood. What is going on? I have not got the logon to work at all. The pc is a hp vectra vl400 PIII

Hi

I think maybe deleting the *.pwl files under c:\windows will do the trick. These files contains password and stuff, and if the password is blank, windoze autologon.
Win starts fine without these files, but will ask for a username and password...

(backup the pwl files if you have stored passwords you don't remember, or wants to rollback)

It's worth checking your network properties.
Ensure that you have the right client installed.

I deleted the *.pwl file and nothing. When I reboot, the pc loads straight into Windows w/out giving a logon. If I click start, shutdown and close all programs and Logon as a new user the policy editor works or if I'm joining the domain I get a domain logon. I have checked the network settings and they are fine. No problems in the the device manager with the nic either. I am stumped.

Make sure in network setup that in the primary network logon window, its set to Client for Microsoft network and not Windows Logon. Windows login deactivates the login process on startup.

It is setup that way. I have client for microsoft networks,3COM 3c920 NIC, and TCP/IP as protocol. Primary Network logon is Client for Microsoft Networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back