Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No security on FTP on IIS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanteam

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
US
I set up my Web Server on IIS and when I go to FTP://*ip address* it lets me right in without asking for a password or username... What did I do wrong, and what should I do to fix it?

Take a look at the properties of that FTP site. Look under (I believe) "Directory Security". Uncheck "Allow anonymous logins". ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

If you want to be prompted for a Password you will need to disable Allow Anonymous in IIS settings for your web site. This will then prompt you for a password.... There are additional settings you can choose from depending on what OS you have and what IIS version you are using.

BH2

I'm having the same problem here, but not with the anonymous login. I'm running windows XP Pro with IIS 5.0, the webserver running fine, but the FTPserver is not. When I accessed thru ftp://*ip address* and it asked for a password, even I've typed in the correct password I can't get in. A windows popped up saying something about "Access permission". I've shared ftproot directory with "Read" and "Dir browsing" permissions. Can somebody help??

I am also having a similar issue. Following the steps outlined above my ftp server returns the following:

"Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you typed the filename correctly and that you have permission to access the folder. Details: A connection with the server could not be established."

Any thoughts?

I can access the folder, but not the sub-folders nor anything in them. Cannot delete them either, not even using POSIX tools from the resource kit.

Check out this article:

This appears to be a permissions issue, take a look at setting up directory and setting permissions in the article. For the folders you cant access, can you take ownership? Permissions need to be applied to sub directories also. Dont forget to add all users you want to have access to the site.

You can also set directory permissions for proper FTP use. Jeff Lenzo, SSCP

Try this...
You may need to set "log on Locally" permissions for FTP users in your local security policy.

Heres what I had to do on a Windows 2000 Server platform. It should be pretty similar for XP.

1. create a new user group account, something like "allowFTP".

2. Make anyone you want to grant permission to access your FTP a member of the "allowFTP" group.

3. Go to "administrator Tools" and open "Local Security Policy"

4. Expand the "local Policies" folder and click on the "user Right Assignment" folder

5. Now in the right pane of the security window, scroll to "Log on Localy" and double it.

6. A new panel pops up. Under the "Assigned to" window, press the "Add" button and select the newly added "allowFTP" group for the list of users and groups and press "OK".

7. Now you will see "allowFTP" listed the "Assigned to" window.

8. Make sure the "Local Policy Setting" box is check and press "OK".

That's it.
You will have to re-apply your local security policies manually for the changes to take effect, otherwise, either reboot or let the policies refresh normaly (which could take some time.)

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back