Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No scrollbar in EXE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

randymce

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I'm using VFP7 SP1, and setting up an editbox with a vertical scrollbar. It works great on my dev machine - both in the dev environment and the runtime exe. But the scrollbox disappears when the runtime EXE is run on other PC's.

I found this problem in the archived "thread1254-1063226", which pointed out that SP1 fixes this. Made sense to me, so I made sure the client had the latest VFP7R.DLL and VFP7RENU.DLL from my dev machine. Both are version 7.0.0.9262, with sizes 3,336k & 880k, respectively. I also made sure the MSVCR70.DLL is the same version -- 7.0.9466, size 336k, and that didn't help.

What am I missing? I even put these three DLL's in the same folder as the .EXE, and the scroll bar is still not showing up.

I would start by removing all Foxpro runtime versions from clients in question then reinstall as ADMINISTRATOR. Also, do you use a startup exe, ie an executable that determines latest compiled exe and runs it? If so you need to recompile your startup exe also.

Regards,

Rob

1. I already removed the VFP6 runtime - no other runtimes were installed.

2. No - I don't use a startup exe.

3. As far as installing as an ADMIN, you might be on to something here. I don't actually install or register any of the DLL's - never done anything special since Fox+ DOS & Mac days (been doing this a LONG time!) Just been copying the req'd runtime files to the proper dir (in this case, the Windows System32 folder.) Never had a problem with this method... until maybe now?

How would you recommend I "install" the runtime files?

1st go here and download the foxpro 7.0 sp1 runtime setup:

2nd login as administrator on one of the clients

3rd run the vfp 7.0 sp1 setup on client

4th try the program

5th post a response if this worked

Regards,

Rob

The vfp7sp1 installer you linked me to wanted to install the runtime in c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\vfp (I cancelled the install.) When I looked at my dev machine, I had the latest files there already v7.0.0.9465 - which explains why the runtime worked for me.

The runtime files I'm using for the clients are v7.0.0.9262 (as I posted earlier.) The ones in the 'microsoft shared' folder are v7.0.0.9465.

No need for installers/admin login/etc - I just went to one of the clients, copied the vfp7r.dll & vfp7renu.dll v7.0.0.9465 files into the c:\winnt\system32 folder, and everything works like a charm.

Thanks for the assistance!

So was there an older dll in the system32 directory on the clients?

Regards,

Rob

Yes - but the key was that the 'primary' location for dll's in VFP5 & 6 was c:\winnt\system32. In 7 & 9 (and probably 8), Microsoft relocated the primary location to 'c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\vfp'

It worked in the past because VFP seeks for runtimes in the multiple locations and it eventually finds them. What I didn't know was that even though the files I had in 'system32' were the same as the client PC's 'system32' - the reason only mine worked is because only I had the additional, newer runtime files, in the 'shared' location ... which didn't even exist on the other pc's - and which was referenced 1st by VFP when searching for runtime files.

I love it when it all comes together! Thanks again.

This was a good thread for me also since I hate an app that has to have something else done by mis tech's in order to be installed. I want to give someone a link to my program and it runs without anybody having to install anything, ocx, runtime etc. Up until now I have eliminated having to setup odbc datasource by using stringconnect and using a startup.exe which copies the latest compiled version of program x to the users local drive. I will now add to the startup.exe a process that checks to see if the latest runtime is installed to the users system folder then copy if missing. We helped each other here.

Regards,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back