Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no root password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithda

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
I have an IBM POWERStation 530H that was gived to me. It boots and runs but I have no user or root passwords.
It did not come with any AIX cds either.

Please help? I think it is suppossed to be AIX 4.3 ?

is there a way to find out what version AIX without being able to login ?

FTP to it??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

If you boot the system with any version of 4.x.x you should be able to access the root volume group and mount the filesystems. Once you have managed to boot the system you could have a look at the inage.data file in the root directory. If a mksysb has been taken then you should have this file and it will have the line OSLEVEL in it showing the level of o/s. If you need the procedure to remove the password it is published on the IBM web site. I have the address if you need it.

according to the Command Line Login, my machine has AIX ver 4. the service mode boot up says Diagnostic Operating Instructions 4.1.5 . I would try to ftp in to it or remote login if I knew the IP address that was set in it. As is all I know is the MAC address of the NIC .. I tried sniffing to see if any thing was trying to connect out on boot and all I see is an IPX RIP packet .. no TCP/IP stuff so I don't know its address.

Try this:

type smitty
Select Communications Applications and Services/TCPIP/Minimum Configuration and Startup

Select the network card you are using (if you have more than one card). If you don't know which card you are using, select them all one at a time. You'll find the IP there.

But what good will ftp'ing to the system do?

i have to be able to login before I can use smitty?

oops. yes you do.

Get the URL from skiddy for setting a new root password when you don't know the current on. You'll have to do a hard boot.

i think i got the part about needing a boot cd and the procedure to reset password . I just need to ind someone that will let me borrow an AIX v4*** boot cd. :)

Thanks for yall replies though they were much appreciated

Have you tried to boot in the maintenance mode. When rebooting the machine look for the section where it comes up with disk speaker etc across the screen and hit the 5 key or Fk5 if you have a graphical terminal. You can choose an option to get the root shell prompt.
You can then try to edit the /etc/passwd file and delete the ! in the passwd entry for root. This should zero out the password. In later versions of AIX you cannot do this, but I think this process was alive and well in 4.1.5

It has the option of the AIX shell ... but you still need the root password

The Fk5 Option does not work on the 530 it is a MCA machine and this function is done by the key on the front panel being moved to the sevice position. Have you managed to get any boot cd's yet ?

4.1.5 can be hacked without a CD.

1) Put the key into service mode (spanner icon) and reboot system.
2) When asked to select an option type in 41 (this is a hidden option which doesn't show up on the menu).
3) You are now at a limited root shell and able to edit /etc/security/passwd to remove the root password - remember this is maintenance mode so some utilities may be unavailable, time to forget vi and brush up on your ed skills.
4) Set key to normal mode (OK icon) and reboot system.

Should now be able to logon as root without a password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back