Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No ring/busy tones on PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

oleggrk

MIS
Feb 24, 2005
Hi everyone,

I have problems with our US PRI line. Basically it works fine, the only problem is that it won't return ring or busy tones when somebody is dialing out. In CallStatus it will show that it's ringing if dialed number is not busy. If it is busy, it just disconnects without any tone.

Line configuration looks like this:

Switch type: 5ESS
LineSubType: PRI
Provider: AT&T
Framing: ESF
Zero Suppression: B8ZS
Clock Quality: Network
CSU Operation: Enabled
Line Compensation: LongHaul
Line Signalling: CPE

Thanks for your help.

Oleg

I've run across the busy issue before. CO's appear to be getting away from supplying tone across PRI. Check the local busy tone setting in the system form, telephony tab and you will be OK for that one. Not sure about ring tone.

Peter

Thanks for your reply, Peter.

Did Local Busy Tone but nothing changed. Do you think I should talk to the PRI provider and ask them about this tones?

Oleg

Yep, I would talk to them then. Do you know if the provider is actually using a 5ESS, or something weird? I've heard of all kinds of issues with PRI's coming out of CO's that aren't using either 5ESS or DMS.

I would also take a look in monitor and see what's up. Best bet is to test after hours, and turn off pretty much everything but the ISDN packets.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

I'll do that. And yes, they have 5ESS because we specifically asked for that...

Oleg

I've had this problem as well on a QSIG-B link but it happens over time. The first few days (after a reboot) ringback works fine. After a few days, its dead air until answered.

2.1.x

Kris G.

I just realized that stations where I have Avaya 4620 IP phones are able to provide both busy and ring tones. Only computer-based VoIP extensions won't play it. Wondering if those phones can generate it by itself. Then I looked at the Phone Manager folder and there is no WAV files for busy or ring tones. I guess even if Local Tones will be checked on The Extension form for VoIP extension , Phone Manager won't be able to play it (because of there is nothing to play really).

Oleg

The VoIP soft phone should have access to the same tones as the 4620 etc

Turn off Fast start and set G711 if you can I don't know if that will help but it mmakes things simpler

[cheers]

It wouldn't be a problem if I'd have only users on the same LAN. But I have 10 extensions on remote LANs connected through VPN tunnel. G.711 64K will be too much for the slower link. Also, in monitor I can see that 4620 is using the same codec as softphones - G.729. That means there is something else missing in the pozzle...

Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking and trying...

Oleg

Just an update... Enabling FastStart solves the ringing issue but there is still no busy tone on softphones, just on 4620s. When the number dialed is busy, the Dial button becomes red in Phone Manager and will drop the line without any tones...

Oleg

I have a problem where I don't get busy tones on the 4620 IP. Works okay on the digital handsets.

Is your soft Phone set top off hook extn?
This will prevent busy tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back