Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No restore points in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
I found that the restore point feature in Windows 10 is defaulted to off. So when I found that I could not access my laptop after Cortana created a new admin account, I was forced to use a password to access my computer. There was no going back to an earlier time when the computer had no password.

When I boot my laptop, I see my Dan's PC admin account in the bottom of the cue at the bottom left-hand side of the screen and the new Cortana account above it. Since I never had a password for my computer, the only way to log on is to use the new admin associated account ending in @microsoft.com.

This is very frustrating for my wife who is just now learning to use the computer for email and the Internet. I can't say I am happy about it either.

I have looked at several password changing how-to's on Youtube, but almost all of them require doing stuff above my head. I also found some software that cost $19.95 to change the passwords, but am not sure it will do for me what i want which absolutely no password at all.

Any suggestions?

Daniel

Bill,

I went to the pages listed and followed the "netplwiz" method. Here is what I found.

In the dialog box two accounts are shown:

dani3l.my3rs@windows.com HomeUsers;Administrators
HomeUsers$ HomeUsers

The box is already unchecked, and when I restart the computer, I still have to enter a four digit pin number on the windows.com account.

The odd things is that my original account that originally was called Dan's PC never had a password, but when I just press Enter, it tells me that is the incorrect password. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Daniel

Is the Windows.com account derived from your original local account Dani's PC?

How to Revert Your Windows 10 Account to a Local One (After the Windows Store Hijacks It)

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Clean Install Windows 10

Perhaps your machine would have benefitted from a Clean Install of Windows 10? That way it would not have to carry across the excess baggage from earlier Windows.

A Clean Install of Windows 10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Reset Windows 10

Refresh Windows 10

I will try one of these.

Thanks,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back