Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No response from remote station... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMG

MIS
Jun 12, 2000
MX
I've set up a small LAN at home, with CAT 5 cable, Kingston KNE110 NICs and a small Kingston SOHO hub, the problem is both PCs are about 150 feet apart, the Hub is located about 25 to 30 feet away from the first PC and 100-115 feet from the second; I can see both PCs in the Neighborhood, but when I try to access the remote PC, my local one freezes up.<br>Sometimes I can access and browse around but when i try copying files it freezes up again. I'm wondering if it's the small hub that doesn't support long distances. What else could it be? Would appreciate some pointers.<br>Thanks.

Your distances should not be a problem..the spec for CAT5 at 100mb is 100 meters per segment.<br><br>You can always try a patch cable and move the remote unit closer to the hub for testing.<br><br>Also, you should create/modify the lmhosts file for IP to Netbios name resolution. This should fix any problems relating to broadcasting for names.<br><br>There may be other factors involving the protocols or OS components that would be extermely difficult to troubleshoot....try booting both computers in Safe Mode with Networking Support to see if the issue goes away. This may tell you if other drivers/applications are creating the problem.<br><br>I am making an assumption about the OS...Win9x????<br><br>dxd<br>

Right, both OS's are Win 98...

OK, I connected another PC to the cable, set the correct TCP/IP addresses and the rest of the settings and... voilá!<br>It turned out to be the **** PC, because the one I replaced it with is a much older processor (PII 200), has less RAM, and it worked fine! So i'm just gonna format, reinstall everything and try it again, hoping this works. Thanks.

have these nics worked before are they used or new?? did you make the cables yourself or did did you get them premade?? try replacing these if any of them are in question
i have had problems similar to this with kingston nics before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back