Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No remember password checkbox 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpowell

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
I'm new to Windows Server 2003, but this may be a XP problem.
When mapping a network drive, some of the computers (XP OS) do not offer the option of saving the password for a mapped drive. I must re-enter the password on each terminal everytime I boot up. Any help

You aren't using a domain here, are you?
more likely a workgroup...

If you were in a domain environment, you wouldn't need to do this...

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

How about (on the XP stations):

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Username > Manage My Network Passwords

You can set the server names & passwords here.

Let us know your results!

X

X
Tried your suggestion. When I go to Manage My Network Passwords, all I get is a blank box with no way to add any entries.

On the computers where the checkbox did show up, the box has the name of the mapped drive with options to edit or delete.

With the "Manage My Network Passwords", the blank box... is there 3 buttons on the right side of this dialog box(Add, Remove, Properties)?

I don't think this will be different, but you can access this same dialog box by doing:

Start > Run > rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

X

Why not just cerate user accounts on your server that match the user account names and passwords on your desktops. This way your accounts would already be synchronized and you would not need to enter a password to make the connection.

Alternatively, this would be a huge security hole, but you could just enable the guest account on the server. This way no name and password would be required to connect to the server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

X
Start > Run > rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr
yields the same results. Just a blank box with Remove, Properties greyed out. Add does not show up at all.

mmendes
the user accounts are set up in the same fashion on the server.

This is not a big problem, just an inconvenience. I have created a shortcut on the clients' server for the mapped drive; if they see a red X on it they know they need to do a second log in.

I am not at the office right now, but a thought just occurred... I know that some of the workstations are running xp pro and others are xp home. Could that make a difference? I will have to wait until tomorrow to check out which ones save the passwords and which ones don't.

Thanks again.
mp

I know that some of the workstations are running xp pro and others are xp home. Could that make a difference?

Yes, you are absolutely correct! You'll notice that the stations with the buttons greyed out will be the XP Home machines. I'll see if I can find a fix for this and post back.

X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back