Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no Quota tab in Drive properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rearview

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I have two Windows 2000 Domain Controllers that were both upgraded very successfully from NT4 server DCs. Neither of these Servers has a quota tab on any of the drives' properties.

Does this have something to do with the fact that they are Domain Controllers? or that they were upgraded? I cannot seem to ifnd any information. They both have RAID-5 arrays, if that matters. One is a Compaq ProLiant and one a Dell PowerEdge.

Yeah, of course they are NTFS... The one I'm most concerned about is a file server :)

Perhaps this:
SYMPTOMS
When you try to configure disk quota limits for a volume in Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2), the Quota tab may not appear when you right-click the volume, and then click Properties.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if your user account does not have the Bypass Traverse Checking user rights.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

I don't think that is it... I am logged on as a domain administrator, every folder I check, administrators have Bypass Traverse Checking rights. I assume by "the folder" in that Q article they would mean the volume in windows? (I checked for the whole drive, and for several folders on the drive. I am reasonable sure administrators have Bypass Traverse Checking rights to all... They should, right?)

Yes should but sometimes something goes wrong. To be sure its not the problem try this:

6318 » The Quota tab is missing from a volumes Properties?
When you right-click a volume and press Properties, the Quota tab is missing?
If your user account does NOT have the Bypass Traverse Checking user right, you will experience this behavior.
To resolve this behavior:
1. Right-click the volume in My Computer and press Properties.
2. Select the Security tab.
3. Press the Advanced button.
4. Select your account or group and press the View/Edit button.
5. Select This folder, subfolders, and files in the Apply onto drop-down box.
6. Check the Allow box for Traverse Folder / Execute File and press OK.
7. Press Apply and OK until all the dialog boxes are closed.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

I have also noticed that this Q article says it is a problem on Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Service Pack 2 (SP2)machines. I am and have ben using SP3 for quite a while now.. Does this still apply?

Try this. Right click My Computer, select explore. Right click a drive letter (not a folder), select properties. If the drive has been formatted as NTFS then you should see the quota tab.

Since you did an upgrade, you should have applied NT Service Pack 5 or better before the upgrade. Also check something for me. You said you were logged on as a domain administrator. There is a difference between domain administrators group and administrators group (local administrator). See if you are also in the administrator's group as well as the domain administrator's group.

You may have an additional task ahead of you when you get quota's set. Any user who has already saved a file to the drive you are setting quota's on will not have a quota set. Quota's will only be automatically applied to users who save something to the drive and have no files previously saved on the drive. You will have to manually add all the users who already have something saved.

The drives are formatted NTFS. I said that already.

The servers both has SP6a before the upgrade. They both now have win2k SP3.

There are no local groups on the servers because they are both Active Directory Domain controllers (I said this before also)

The "administrators" group I was speaking of is the Built In Active Directory group, which contains the global group "Domain Administrators," which was used in the NT4 domain.

I am using the "administrator" account (it is renamed for security purposes, of course) that the domain creates upon install, and it is in the "administrators" group that is Built in with AD.

Any other Questions for me or suggestions? This seems rather strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back