Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No programs listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

robroy6

Technical User
Aug 20, 2006
US
Pressing START+ALL PROGRAMS in the past gave me a listing of all the programs (over 100) that are installed. There was like 60 names each in 6-8 columns

Recently, that key sequence lists only 2 programs.
Where does XP get the info to display?
START + "User Explore" shows all of the programs under C:\Program Files.

Thanks for the starting point. Found a reference to "unhide" by BleepingComputer. Sometimes you get hit by a virus that moves folders around and hides them. The unhide tool apparently restored the missing "Program" references so I could get the Programs Listing from the start page. I now show 168 programs which includes 144 folders and 23 shortcuts. The list of folders is contained in the C:\Doc&Settngs\AllUsers.Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.

Are you saying that you are fixed or not? Not clear from your last comment.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The original problem (few programs listed) seems solved.
My lingering questions are:
When/where did I get hit by a virus?
Did my anti-virus prog kill it?
Are there more installed programs that are not showing up?

I'm not sure that you had the malware that hides the files. You wouldn't have seen any of your MY Documents folders, etc. Run the usual programs that I recommend.

Reboot if asked by each application (not needed after 1 & 2) - don't proceed to next step if asked to reboot.
1. Run CCleaner and clean out all temp files that it finds. (for each user on the PC if more than one).
2. Download and run RKILL (iexplore.exe or rkill.scr or rikll.com)
3. Run TDSSKiller
4. Run MalwareByte's Anti-Malware. You need internet for it to update, so try regular mode then safe mode with networking. If it won't update, run it anyway and see what it can remove. Then reboot and try the update and run MBAM again if it updates.
5. Run Rogue Killer
6. Run Junk Removal Tool

Clean sources for files:

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

It took a while but I finally d/ld all the files you suggested and ran them in the equence you indicated. They found a few things but nothing major. The only program that required a reboot was after Combofix.
Thanks for the help.
[sup][/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back