Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Print or Print Preview for Envelop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mow

Programmer
Mar 29, 2001
US
Hi,
I'm using ACT! 2000 on Windows XP with Microsoft Word 2002.
When I write a letter, attach to contact and select "print envelop", I get an error message from the printer - Paper size or type mismatch - even though it is the right paper size or type. I have no problems printing envelops directly from Word.
The print preview for envelops is also inactive - I think the reason may be the same as why the envelop does not print.
Has anyone had this problem? I'll appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks,
mow

To be honest with you, I have avoided printing envelopes from ACT! since version 3 because of related issues. The code for labels, envelopes, etc. is leftover from version 2 and there is no one remaining on the development team that knows what went into it. It has been an acknowledged sore spot for years and probably won't go away until v7 or later.

The lack of Preview has nothing to do with it; its never been available. Paper size mismatch generally means that it is not set as a manual feed, which is the only way I have found to successfully feed an envelope, no matter the printer. XP also has its own set of joys, to which I cannot speak from experience as I am still on Win2k. Our company provides backoffice and accounting software to small business and our MIS folks won't even run our stuff on XP becasue there are too many hidden issues.

This is a long way around saying, print labels! (Avery 5660 is the best) Still, I prefer using the capabilities in Word over the hassles of ACT! and I have been a faithful user and teacher of the program since 1995.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

swk

Thanks for your reply.

I have found a way around this problem though. Since ACT! has no problems printing regular Word docs... I created a Word document template from ACT! - same size as my envelope. And that prints envelopes just fine. I also get to preview my envelope document.

I do hope ACT! finds a solution to the problem.

--mow

I hope they fix it as well, although my continuing use of the program may be limited as it looks like we are upgrading to SalesLogix within the next few months. There are many little holdovers from older versions that are key to the functionality, but nobody understands the code to anymore. I hope the rewrite is successful.

Good Luck!

swk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back