Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No power to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam3048

Vendor
Feb 20, 2005
GB
Hi Guys,

Firstly I'm new to this forum so appologies if this is put up in the wrong place.

Im seriously in need of some assistance. Ive got a meeting at work tomorrow and all the info I need for it is on my PC, however I cant get my PC to boot up.

This is what happened.

I unpluged the power cable to my PC, I put in another memory stick and then put back the power cable and switched on the power box and nothing. The LED on the motherboard wont come on and the PC wont boot up.

I have no idea why not.

Does anyone have any ideas what the hell could be wrong?

Also im not sure which type of mother board it is, but its got a pentium 2 gig processor on it.

Im not too good with hardware at all.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you.

Couple of things to check:

Make sure the outlet where the power cable is plugged into is still supplying power.

Ensure the power cable is still good.

Some PC power supplies have an on/off rocker switch on the back off the supply near where the power cord plugs in. Make sure this is in the on position.

Did you have to remove/unplug anything from inside the case when installing the memory? Ensure all plugs are in the correct position and fully seated.

I'm sure more ideas will come from others.

Cheers for that, Ive tried and tested on another PC the power cables and there fine, it does have an on off switch on the back where the power goes in and thats switched too on.

The only thing i touched was another memory stick, I plugged it in and powered back up and nothing happened.

With the power cable fully plugged in and the rocker on you should get the m/b led to show keepalive voltage.
Only prayer is to unplug the 20/24 pin m/b power connector and plug it back in till it clicks locked and pray that it was a corroded contact. Other wise it sounds like the P/S bit the dust.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Cheers mate, ive tried to unplug the power cabels from the mother board and plug them back, ive unplugged all the power from the DVD CD Floppy ect ect and still nothing when i plug it back in, theres no LED light coming on at all.

Ive tried a different P/S from another machine however on mine there are 3 connectors to the mother board on the other there is only 1

Mine has the 24 P/S and then a 4 pin in a square and then another one thats about 6 pin long only 1 wide.

The other power supply only had the 24 pin one and when that was plugged in it showed nothing the LED didnt come on either, however I have noticed a cable i used is fooked, infact 2 cables have now gone which makes me think the PC is blowing the fuses ??????

Yeah, that would do it. The keepalive doesn't do that much so normally wouldn't expect it to short, or ground, out, but it can happen.

If it is true that the keepalive is cooked you will need a m/b and another power supply at a minimum.

Can be a bummer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

well ive just tried another power supply and it gives me power and the PC sounds like its booting up, however The screen will not come on, but the fan and everything on the motherboard comes on.

I think the reason nothing works is cause my power supply has a few more cables that attach in a few different places on the motherboard and therefore im not getting full power.

What a total sh*tter.

Any ideas on how much a new power supply is ?

For one thing i think you likely have a server type of motherboard, thats why you have the 24 pin instead of the 20 pin standard connector, and why you have the other 6 pin connector, thats for more power. The other 4 pin is a standard P4 need, its extra 12 volt power that a P4 processor needs.
So you need a special type of power supply. I would suggest you start at newegg.com but you appear to be British and so maybe you are in Britain? If not then try newegg.com first, also you can go to pricewatch.com, but again, you need a special power supply, its not standard atx.
Not only that, but i dont think its a good idea for you to be using other power supplies on your motherboard unless you use the correct one and have all 3 cables connected.

By the way, which cables are you saying that are burned or no good? Are thes ide cables or power supply cables or what?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Hi mate,

Yes im british your right. Ill take a look cheers for the advice.

Ive been into the mrs's PC now and her power supply is the same as mine, hooked it up and bobs your uncle.

Got all the info I needed now so im a happy chappy.

However my P/S is fooked, which is still a sh*tter and ive got 3 PC's all over the place, ill have a look at those sites you gave me.

Many thanks to all.

Glad we got to the bottom of this!
Good luck, mate, say hi to the toil and strife, lol.
No, I'm Canadian, but lots of Brit buds!

ta ta

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back