Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO POWER AT ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boidy

Technical User
Jun 26, 2003
GB
hi there
a computer of mine suddenly stopped working.. whats wrong with it?

only kiddin
no seriously. my computer recently started just restarting on me.. well sort of, The monitor went onto standby mode but the fans/hardrive etc were still spinning and no power was lost
I thought it might be power management settings of the monitor so I tried changing them in bois.. that had no effect.... a friend of mine said that I should try resetting the cmos with the jumpers.. so did move the jumper down onto the other 2 prongs waited for a vouple of seconds, put it back, and then nothing. when i tried to turn it back on nothing happened.. no light, no fan movement no harddrive noises.. nowt.
could my changing jumpers have blown the power supply, or the mainboard, has any12 encounted anything like this before??

oh by the way.. I'v unplugged every thing exept my grafix card.. I no its either the power supply/mainboard(so processor/RAM) or the grafix card

I realise i could try swappin these to c wihich is faulty but I really wanna know why its happened

cheers
Boid

Clearing the CMOS with the jumpers is unlikely to blow things for you.

Borrow a suitable power supply unit from your friend and see if it will then start.

I have asked around and no one has a suitable one.. how much do power supplies usually cost these days?

does any 1 know WHY this happened in the first place?

cheers
boid

PSU just die. Good ones take a very long time. Cheap ones not so long.

If they are stretched by your system components, all will expire sooner than you might like.

If you know a computer store with a liberal return policy, pick up a suitable unit and test it. If nothing changes, return the PSU.

As a side note, here on the Eastern Seaboard of the USA we have had thunderstorms nearly every day for two months. If your power has been less than perfect over time, or recently in particular, this creates enormous stress on the PSU.

I should warn you that it might not be the PSU at fault; from your description it sounds though as the best place to begin.

PSU? - power suply unit? how much do they cost - u refer to cheap ones and good ones so mabey askin for a price "range" maybe a better question.

cheers
boid

I'd say 30-150 dollars Canadian for a power supply...
Prices are very easy to find on the net.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

if u was inside the unit check all connections, the power switch on the atx is connected to the mobo, u might have accidentally dislodged it or something.

The power supply is in deed the likely reason.
however it's not the only reason. It could also be a problem with your mother board, or even cpu

[my money's on the motherboard] ;)

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back