Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no post on a gigabyte board

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejlack

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
US
Ive purchased a gigabyte board GA-8s648FX(-L) 800fsb with a 2.6Ghz P4 from pcrapids.com. I installed PC2700 512 mb ram from crucial. When i push the start up button the cpu fan comes on but thats it, no beep and no output to the monitor, Im not sure what the problem is, can anyone help. Shouldnt it give a warning beep if the video card is not compatable or if the ram is faulty. I get nothing, the heatsink doesnt even get warm.

SteveJlack
Doesn't an 800fsb P4 need PC3200 (DDR400) memory?
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Im not sure, the motherboard says it takes pc2700, and pc3200, but i dont know if you have to have ddr400 to run a p4 800fsb

Hi there, the board takes either DDR266, DDR333(up to 3GB), or DDR400(up to 2GB)... there is a possibility that the RAM stick itself is of the wrong type (buffered/non-buffered)... another possibility is that the RAM stick is shot (test it in another PC if possible)... there is also a possibility that the mobo doesn't like crucial mem (I stick to Infineon hadn't a prob with them since day one... the CPU might be shot aswell, test it in another working Mobo... Clear the CMOS by taking out the battery, while the PC is unplugged from the outlet, for around 10 min...

Ben

oops forgot to mention, check to see if the GFX card is correctly seated in the AGP port, just a slight variance can cause it to behave like that...

Ben

Start w CPU /Heatsink/ and mobo only (no RAM, no Video)and get beeps

Working from the ground up;
Install CPU,HS,plug in HSF to mobo,install mobo into case, hook up case spkr, power switch, HDD LED,Reset button, etc..

Install PSU,hook ATX/12v connectors to mobo,chassis fan,....Hook up power to wall and get beeps (no RAM installed yet),make sure chassis fan and HS fan are spinning....hold down ATX PSU 4 secs to power off..unplug power from wall or from back of PSU......

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Yeh the PC2700 would be OK for a 533fsb P4 but the 800fsb needs the PC3200 as I thought stevejlack.
I realize your board says either but I'm guessing that it also supports 533fsb CPU's as well.
Martin

i called crucial and they said i do indeed need ddr400 so they are switching it out for me, excellent customer service, ill let ya know if it works, Also i get no beeps with no mem and no video, fans run, took out battery, still nothing

Have you checked that the brass standoff's are only in the correct places on the motherboard?
Pull off the front panel wires to elliminate problem switches or wrong header connector orientation.
(saw a similar problem with a sticking reset switch once)
Martin

i have the mobo sitting on a table, with no front panel switches, i use a small wire to start it, the cpu fan spins and the power supply fan, i tested the 4pin connectors comming out the PS, they were also working, the cpu was sent back and tested ok, they also sent me a replacement mobo, so i hope the new ddr400 ram solves the problem otherwise i have no idea whats wrong,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back