Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No picture from TV-OUT on Laptop? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo22

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I'm having a peculiar problem with a laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 running a PIII processor, 192MB RAM, and Windows 2k Pro. The video card is an ATI Mobility 128 (appropriate drivers installed). The problem is that when I use the S-Video output, I don't get a picture from any DVDs I try to play. The TV shows the Windows desktop and the WinDVD window, but the window itself is black (although you can hear the audio). On the laptop, you can see the DVD picture perfectly. I'm not sure if this is a setup issue or what? A couple places mention the same problem but I can't seem to find any relavant info on the web about how to resolve this.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

Forgot to mention, the S-video and audio cables are connected directly to the TV (input 1).

This is to do with your overlay settings I believe. You're getting signal to the TV ok so it's a configuration problem. Go into display properties and click the settings tab--->advanced button. There should be an overlay tab there. I know on my driver I need to select Theatre mode to display properly.

I looked at the overlay settings in the ATI display management software under the "advanced" tab in the display properties. It appears that there are several sliders that adjust things like hue, constrast, brightness, etc. but they're locked! I'm unable to change any of these settings. Does anyone have any experience with ATI Mobility 128 aka ATI Mobility 4-based driver software?

You could try to set your primary display as the TV, on my Latitude C810 that's what I have to do sometimes to get it to work. Also have you tried making WinDVD fullscreen, When I use Divx player or even WMP I have to do this.

you should change the main screen from pc to tv screen ,go to properties of display card: click right mouse key on pc windows table -->properties -->setting -->advance -->

you can change in it , sorry ,i don't remmber clear . or you can read the dell driver disk to check it ,

Thanks for the suggestions people. TisBoyo had the right idea, there really weren't any clear instructions on the ATI help menus (even the pictures were inaccurate) but I had to activate the tv as the primary video output source and set the laptop display as secondary. It was simply pressing a button in the ATI Displays tab under "Advanced" in the desktop properties menu (although it sure didn't look like a button).

Thanks again!
Jisoo22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back