Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No picture and continuous beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

magix1

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
GB
Ok,
I got a new motherboard (a MS-6340M VER 5 to replace the faulty VER 1) set it all up, and when I turn it on theres no picture and it beeps continuously.
I changed graphics cards to a known working one but made no difference and also isolated anything that could be causing a short but it still does the same continuous beeping and no picture.
If someone could help that would be great, thanks.

Is this MOBO "New" out of the box kind of new? Is there an on-board video as well? Do you get a POST. Ill ponder this some more.

Well I got it from ebay as I needed a similar motherboard and it was put down as new so I guessed it was left over stock although I could inquire more about it.
There wasnt anything in the manual I got off the net for onboard graphics just improved sound chipset.

Does it beep continuously if there's no board in any slot?

Nope, didnt do anything then not even the usual one long then two short for no graphics which ive heard it do when ive taken it out before

Hi there,

first of all you should no matter what, clear the CMOS when installing a new board...

then for beep codes, see the chart below:

AMI BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are AMI BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.
Beep Code Descriptions
1 short DRAM refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64K RAM failure
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are Award BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.
Beep Code Description
1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

If any other correctable hardware issues the BIOS will display a message

... make sure that the RAM is seated correctly, that the CPU is seated correctly and has enough (not too much) HS compound (Arctic Silber i.e.) and that the HS fan is seated correctly and right way around...

my bet is though on the RAM...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Thanks for all of that, ive checked the cpu and memory, the bios chip and there all fine as far as I can see.

Still no picture though so I cant get into the bios or do anything plus theres no other POST beeps to point towards any problems other than the continuous beeping i get from a speaker on the board itself.

These problems are almost always caused by either a poorly seated video card, or, more commonly, memory. I would be curious whether powering it up with no memory installed at all gives you the same beep code. If it does, you've got a bad (or at least very questionable) memory stick.

Every once in a great while, I come across a combination of memory stick and mobo that just don't get along, even though the same stick might work fine in another identical motherboard. This especially happens when dealing with no-name memory. I'd try a different memory stick.

If that doesn't help, then my best guess is that there's something wrong with that motherboard. Those problems are very difficult to diagnose and can be even harder to fix, unfortunately, in these days of multi-layer boards.

Dave Farquhar

I've also seen pins in the AGP slot become broken or bent that cause this problem. Get a magnifying glass and see if you can eliminate this possibility. (FYI: I've seen this happen on brand new M/Bs so don't rule it out without checking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back