Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Personal Web Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

danomaniac

Programmer
Jan 16, 2002
US
I've installed IIS on my Windows 2000 server, and there is no Personal Web Manager. IIS is running, but there is no PWM. What gives? any ideas? Thanks.

If you are using Win2K server try Internet Services Manager. You wont have PWM. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Okay, No PWM. I'm looking at Internet Information Service and I see a directory tree that shows my default FTP site, Web site, and SMTP Virtual Server. The service is running and everything looks right, but I get a socket error when I try to access the web site. It says the host lookup for 'mysitename' failed.

DNS set up? Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

I think DNS is set up correctly.

Here's what happens:

From another computer on the network, in a DOS window, I type: ping 10.1.0.100 and I ping it fine. I type ping servername and it pings fine. In a browser address window, I type and I see my website homepage, but if I type I get a socket error, Host name for 'servername' failed.

This is installed on a Domain Controller running Windows 2000 Server. When I type I get a browser error. Browser sent a malformed request.

ok, correct me if i'm wrong. The machine has an ip of 10.1.0.100, you can ping it from a dos window on another machine, but when you put in a browser window, if blows up? Heck, rather than fighting with it, reinstall IIS.

A

Okay. Here's the latest...

I've reinstalled IIS. Now everything appears to be working fine except:

From this machine:(server name:ztm-pdc, IP: 10.1.0.100)

If I type in the browser window, I see the site fine. - I know IIS is working...correct?

If I type I see the site fine.

If I type (which is the server name) I get a socket error - Host name lookup for 'ztm-pdc' failed.

If I type I get a browser error - your browser sent a malformed request.

Any other machine on the network:

works fine
returns a socket error - Host name lookup for 'ztm-pdc' failed.

I can ping the server from any machine on the network using either 10.1.0.100 or ztm-pdc

from this machine I can ping localhost, ztm-pdc, 10.1.0.100, and 127.0.0.1

I have added a line in my hosts file:
10.1.0.100 ztm-pdc

What am I missing?..it has to be simple.

I'm wondering if the dash in the host name is causing the problem. But let me look into it a bit more, just let me get some 'work' done lol...

Arc

Arc,
I solved the problem. I needed to put a check mark next to "Bypass proxy for all local addresses" in IE. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Thanks again for your help.

Ok Cool, but now you've got me wondering how it's working at home ;)

Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back