Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No PDF icon for attachments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjfederer

MIS
Jun 24, 2003
US
We're using Notes 5.0.11, Acrobat Reader 6.0, and WinXP Pro. When a user attachs a PDF to an email the PDF icon does not appear. The file name is there and the file is there and can be launch/viewed/detached. Since there's no icon, the customers who receive these emails think there's no attachment.

Attachment icons work for Office documents.

Thanks
Josh

Oops...
Yes, what do I have to do to get Notes to display the Acrobat Reader 6.0 icon when a PDF is attached to an email.

It seems to work for me. Are you talking about when receiving external emails with pdf?

outgoing email

When our sales people write an email and then attach a PDF; the PDF icon does not appear in the email. But the PDF file is attach. So when a customer receives one of these emails and does not see a PDF icon they think there is no attachment.

Ah, I think I know what is going on here. What version of notes are you using? I created a memo, attached a pdf and the icon popped up perfectly. However, I am running Notes 5.0.8...

Hello,

I have the exactly the same problem as described above. And it is not limited to PDF. It also happens to TXT, ZIP and JPG files. All others I have tested show up without a problem. I tried to change the Icon in Windows for now avail. I have the same system described above (Lotus 5.0.11, Windows XP. Users using Windows 2000 don't seem to have this problem.

Does someone now how to solve this problem and make the icon appear again? This is causing some confusion with users, who think nothing has been attached.

At the machine that is attaching the file (where the icon doesn't then show), double click a .PDF file in Windows Explorer. If the file doesn't open in Acrobat Reader6, the file association is at fault. If you attach a file when Windows doesn't recognise its default application you get no icon. You can see this if you try to attach a .PDF from a PC that hasn't had Acrobat Reader installed for example.

This is not a file association problem. I have about 100 machines running LN 5.0.8 and after upgrading from Office 2000 to 2003 & Acrobat from 5.0 to 6.0.1, the icons as displayed in Notes just vanished. The applications themselves work and can easily be launched from the invisible icon. It just appears that Notes doesn't know how to display the new icons.

Has anyone come across a simple solutio for this?

A+, N+, MCP

I've seen this problem - it is something to do with the number of colours used in some icons in XP

The solution is to either reduce the colour setting or
to upgrade to Notes 6.

In Control Panel > Display > Settings - set the Colour Quality to Medium (16bit) (Rich Text Field)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back