Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No PCI Slots Work/Integrated NIC Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodr

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
Reloaded friends HP a305w (Walmart Special/TriGem Imperial GL VE MB) that was hosed. NIC dead when I started. System will not recognize integrated NIC. Does not appear in Device manager at all. Decided to just add a PCI Network Adapter and not worry about it. Disabled on board LAN. Lo and behold, will not recognize any of several NICs I tried in any PCI slot. Also tried modem, not recognized either.
Things I've done so far:
Reloaded WIN XP Pro several times w/ No Service Pack, w/SP1, w/SP2
Updated MB BIOS
Gone thru BIOS thoroughly
Several Chipset updates (Intel 845 GL Chipset)

Can see Network Adapter when viewing hidden devices, but its typical WAN miniport stuff (Can't remove)

Run out of things to try. May be hardware.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

See if the PCI modem card works in another system
If not, then it's bad.

If it works in another machine, then it's possible that the MB may be bad.

mcleodr,
You probably need to install/reinstall the chipset drivers
for the mobo and any/all integrated components. You will need to re-enable the LAN from within the bios. The drivers for these should be located on the HP CD.

Thanks guys, but I've done all of the above to no avail.

Since you've done a BIOS upgrade, the chances of this bringing it back to life are small, but probably worth the effort...

Try removing the CMOS battery for several minutes at least. This will take everything back to factory defaults, bar your BIOS update of course. And it will also allow all the capacitors to discharge so that no circuitry is powered up at all.

Replace battery and go into BIOS settings. If all has been discharged properly, you'll need to set date and time, etc., and any other custom settings.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks Roger. I tried that before I did the BIOS update. Afraid it didn't help.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back