Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Password Prompt appears when trying to login

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kesef

Technical User
Jan 9, 2002
ZA
Dear Helper/s

I have tried to add a login banner to our unix 10.20 server.

I have edit the /etc/issue file with the nessecary text. I then edit the /etc/inetd.conf file in the following manner:

I added "-b /etc/issue" at the end of the following:

"telnet stream tcp nowait root /etc/iiicpd telnetd"

All of above I have done not on the console but with WS_FTP Pro. I then wanted to go to the console and force inetd to re-read its config file with the command "inetd -c"

However, on the console I can't get the password prompt. I only get the new altered banner with the login prompt. If I typed the login name (root) instead of prompting me to enter the password it just return with the banner and login prompt again.

I have rebooted the server but with nou success. I can still login via WS_FTP.

Thank you in anticipation
Kesef Hattingh

Have you looked at permissions against the two files?
I'm not sure it would be that tho.

Yes HornedOne,

I have looked at the permissions:

/etc/issues -R--R--R-- bib bib
/etc/inetd.conf -RW-R--R-- root iii

Kesef Hattingh

Hello:

I would check /etc/inittab to see if there is some kind of corruption there. My line for /sbin/sh is the following:
link::wait:/sbin/sh -c "/sbin/rm -f /dev/syscon; /sbin/ln /dev/systty /dev/syscon" >/dev/console 2>&1

Check that the device file /dev/console is ok and that there aren´t any process different than sh that are running with console as terminal.
Check the security settings of the console (Ctrl B to enter in the configuration menu)

I hope this help,
Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back