Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Page File, can't login to create one #2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario51t

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
My situation is very similar to archived thread96-564690, including how I got there. However, after accepting my login password and before returning to the login screen, the system displays a large error message box:

"Your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small."

Then it gives a 3 step procedure on how to fix the problem from within Windows. If at this point I click OK, it thinks for a few seconds and then displays another msg box titled "SAS window: winlogon.exe - No disk":

"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk\DR1"

with the buttons "Cancel", "Try again" and "Continue". All of them produce another msg box with the same text but the title "services.exe - no disk". Continuing from here produces the SAS msg box again, in an apparent infinite loop.

I tried to fix the MBR with the emergency console command FIXMBR to no avail. I do not have a bootable W2k disk to try FDISK/MBR as suggested in the mentioned thread.

I have read somewhere in another forum that the SYSTEM permissions for the root directory may have been removed somehow, but have not found a way to access them.

TIA

The easiest way I've found of fixing this is to put the hard disk into another computer as a slave drive and set up a paging file in control panel, system, advanced, performance settings tab, advanced tab, virtual settings, change the paging file for the slave drive to system managed size, then set and ok.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back