Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No option to Open file after download?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aortrillian

Programmer
Jun 25, 2001
FR
We download many files from our intranet during the day and on our old Win 2000 we were given the option to Open a file after it was successfully downloaded.

Now that we have been switched to XP Pro, we no longer get that option. We are asked whether we want to Save or Open file, and if we choose Save, we get the dialog to choose where to save the file. But once it downloads, the progress window disappears and we have to hunt the file down thru Windows Explorer.

Please help by explaining what settings need to be made in order to be given the option to open the file after it is downloaded.

Thank you in advance!

If you open IE and go to Tools -> Options and select the Advaced tab you will see a long list of options. Find "Notify when download complete" and make sure it is checked. This should fix you up.

This is the default setting but when that notification window pops up there is a check box that gets rid of it. Someone probably hit that checkbox.

Later ...

Argh... that was the answer!

I apologize for such a thick-headed question. I had looked at the "Internet Options, Advanced" tab before posting but my quick glance did not see the "Notify when downloads complete" option, so I thought XP was different. I was wrong as well as not careful.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back