Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No operating system found

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlushington

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
GB
Hi,

I've just booted up one of the Win 2K PC's running on our network, and I get a message saying that there is a pointing device error...about 5 seconds later, I get another error saying no operating system found, with a picture of a disc in the middle of the screen, and a box with a big plus sign just above it. This machine was working fine a few days ago, any reason why it would show this error?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Dan

Dan Lush

Umm, have you tried replacing the mouse?

Since it just started happening, the CMOS battery may have gone bad causing the BIOS default settings to kick in. I would remove all devices except the hard drive from the IDE channels (keeping it on IDE 1 as master). See if that helps...

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Couple of things. First, hardware info is very important as different manufacturers use different error messages. Second, check your BIOS to see if your HDD is recognized, it sounds like your HDD failed or else, as mentioned, your CMOS battery has died resulting in your HDD not being set up in your BIOS.

I've disabled the mouse in config setup, and it now boots up without any problems...except there is no mouse to use. I have tried 2 different mice now and if I enable the mouse in the config the same thing happens when I boot up, '8603 pointing device error' and then the 'no operating system found' error. Do you think it could be a problem with the actual PS/2 port, or is it motherboard related? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S:- The mouse is just a bog standard IBM 3 button PS/2 mouse.

Dan Lush

Remove and reinstall the drivers- perhaps someone tried to install a printer or USB mouse or keyboard and screwed the port assignment

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks for the tips Tektippy4U, I'm not sure why but the mouse is now working again without me even changing any of the settings.

Dan Lush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back