Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No one can ping me, but I'm on the network? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonorad1

Vendor
May 21, 2003
US
I'm running a Windows 2000 Professional SP3 laptop with DHCP enabled. I can obtain an IP address, ping everything on my network, have complete network/internet access, can release and renew the address, but no one can ping me by Name or IP Address (the ping times out). No one can map a share on my machine either.

Things I've done to troubleshoot so far:
Renamed the laptop
Rejoined the domain
Reinstalled TCP IP
Added a second NIC (same results)
Reapplied SP3
Uninstalled all Firewall software (Zone Alarm Pro)

The network folks can see my MAC address on their ports.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Zone Alarm, as I recall, drops all ICMP traffic by default. If you disable the firewall, you should be able to have people ping you.

It is part of the blackhole concept, if you don't reply to traffic, people can't tell if there is actually a machine there or not. It is a form of security through obscurity, but if it keeps a few of the script kiddies off your machine, it may be worth it.

pansophic

How did you uninstall ZA? There are issues if you use Add/Remove Programs instead of ZA's uninstall utility - see ZA's website for more info.

I "fully" uninstalled ZA via their procedures on the website and that did it! I am pingable. Thanks!

Now my next question is how do I set up ZA so I am pingable? When it was installed, I had disabled the option to startup at system bootup. It was turned off and I still had the problem. I need ZA to use VPN to connect to the office when at home.

to open ICMP lower the secert leval form hidden down to what you would like

gunthnp

my big question is can you ping yourself?

you can ping everyone.
they can't ping you.

ping 127.1.0.1 or something like that.
ping your public address on the ethernet card.

report back on the results.

interesting problem.

Yes I can ping myself. I'm upgrading to the latest version of Zone Alarm. I will report back with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back