Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Office 2000 standard applications work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assimilate

Technical User
Oct 7, 2001
GB
Hi all,

Previously i had office 2000 pro installed on nt4 workstation service pack 6 (dell portege 3440ct laptop). I tried installing the office 2000 Service Release-1. Midway through the SR-1 installation the installer prompted for the the office 2000 pro disk asking for the Data1.msi file. The installer couldnt find the file on the office 2000 pro cd (nearest match was Data1pro) i put in the office 2000 standard cd (Data1.msi appears on this cd).

The installation wouldnt continue with either one of these cd's as it couldnt find the correct version of the Data1.msi file. As there was no way to install office 2000 SR-1 i tried to uninstall office 2000 pro, but the installer also needs the office cd to uninstall.

I decided to delete the office directory and cleared up the redundant registry keys with a registry editor (regvac & regcleaner). After resetting i was able to reinstall office 2000 standard, but when i tried to run any office applications (word, outlook etc...) the application splash screen appeared and i kept getting the error:-

"This application must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you originally installed the application" (This is a company machine so i am fairly certain that the office was installed under administrator rights - which i also have)

i tried using the following command to reset registry keys

"d:\Program files\microsoft office\office\outlook.exe" /Regserver

but now when i try and run outlook nothing happens at all. Office just wont work, has anyone got any advice or experienced any similar problems? I really dont want to rebuild this machine.

I also had a look through microsoft technet archives and couldnt find any answers.

Start/Settings/Control Panel; Add/Remove, choose Office2000. and select "change" then "add or remove features" click on Microsoft Office and select "Run All From My Computer"

It was set up to install all features already, any other ideas?

hey its sorted. u just have to install the updates and have users login in a certain order:

install office standard as admin
have user login and run word and outlook
login as admin and update with sr1 & sp2

ta da, no more stupid problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back