Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No null records with left outer join

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete56

Programmer
Aug 29, 2001
US
CR 10; SQL Server 2000
Tables - HR = Patiets; OT = Orders
Output desired - list of patients with primary order (rank=1) or patients with no orders
Database setup - HR left outer join OT
Record selection criteria - {hr.pat_stat} = 'Active' and {hr.pat_type} = 'Supplies Only' and (isnull({ot.rank}) or {ot.rank} = 1)
This creates the following SQL in crystal -
SELECT "HR"."LAST_NAME", "HR"."PAT_TYPE", "HR"."PAT_STAT", "OT"."RANK", "HR"."FIRST_NAME"
FROM "CPR_SQL"."dbo"."HR" "HR" LEFT OUTER JOIN "CPR_SQL"."dbo"."OT" "OT" ON "HR"."MRN"="OT"."MRN"
WHERE "HR"."PAT_STAT"='Active' AND "HR"."PAT_TYPE"='Supplies Only' AND ("OT"."RANK" IS NULL OR "OT"."RANK"=1)

Problem - the patients without any orders do not appear.

I copy this into Enterprise Manager and they appear with a rank = null.

Why are they not in my report?

In summary - how do I join two tables where I include all the records in the left table and the records in the right table that meet a condition?

Thanks.

Pete

Change the record selection

instead of

(isnull({ot.rank}) or {ot.rank} = 1)

to

(isnull({ot.mrn}) or {ot.rank} = 1)

This still returned all of the records except the one with no order. The new SQL is:
SELECT "HR"."LAST_NAME", "HR"."PAT_TYPE", "HR"."PAT_STAT", "HR"."FIRST_NAME", "OT"."RANK", "OT"."DESCRIP", "OT"."RXTYPE", "OT"."STATUS", "HR"."DELFLAG", "OT"."DELFLAG", "OT"."MRN"
FROM "CPR_SQL"."dbo"."HR" "HR" LEFT OUTER JOIN "CPR_SQL"."dbo"."OT" "OT" ON "HR"."MRN"="OT"."MRN"
WHERE "HR"."PAT_STAT"='Active' AND "HR"."DELFLAG"=0 AND "HR"."PAT_TYPE"='Supplies Only' AND ("OT"."MRN" IS NULL OR "OT"."RANK"=1)
ORDER BY "HR"."PAT_TYPE"

I figured out a work around where I use a formula in the detail section suppress option to suppress the records I don't need once they get to Crystal but this is kind of ugly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete

You might want to make sure that you do not have "convert null values to default" checked in file->report options.

-LB

Bingo. I changed this and the problem was resolved. Now I'll go read and fully understand this option.

Thank you so much, this information is HUGE!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back