Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No notification on new mail arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreiss

Programmer
Oct 8, 2003
US
I have Office XP and I've got the "display an envelope in system tray", and "play a sound" checked to handle new mail notification. I use Outlook to retrieve my hotmail mail. I reinstalled Outlook, and downloaded Office XP service Pack 3 and still no notification of any kind. Just for fun I tried Outlook Express and both notifications work fine in this. Does anybody have any other suggestions to get the notifications to work in Outlook?

Thanks in advance,

Kacy

Did you set up this way?

On the Tools menu, click Options.

Click the Preferences tab, and then click E-Mail Options.

Select or clear the Display a notification message when new mail arrives check box.
Note You can also play a sound or change the mouse cursor when messages arrive. On the Tools menu, click Options; click Preferences, click E-Mail Options, click Advanced E-Mail Options, and then under When new items arrive, select the options you want.

Yes,
This is the way I set it up, but still no luck......

OK another thing to try....click on HELP in OUTLOOK...and chose DETECT AND REPAIR option.....a bit simple I know but just might fix it?

After you make your selection to play a sound, you need to go to the control panel and doubleClick the sound icon.

Choose a sound for incomming mail.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you ever want different sounds for different types of mail, you could set a rule as follows:

Tools > Rules Wiz > New > Start from blank rule

pick "check messages when they arrive"

next

Pick a condition (or don't pick any condition to have the rule apply to all conditions)
next
if you didn't pick a condition you are reminded that the rule applies for all messages...answer Yes.

Check play a sound

Double click a sound

choose a .wav file

finish.

Note this method and the windows sound from control panel conflict... use one or the other method

What OS are you running? If you are running Windows XP make sure the Internet Connection Firewall isn't enabled. If it is disable it and try the e-mail notification again.

I've tried all of the above and still no luck. I'm using O.S. ME and office XP.

Thaks...

Hey there Kreiss...you may want to try this...not sure if it will work but worth a shot.

1.Close Outlook completely
2.Go to Start/ Run and type in outlook /cleanviews

I'm out of ideas...Good Luck !

Hugo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back