Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnipitus

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I have Windows XP Pro and the other day I disconnected my network cable and started my machine. When I came to the logon I entered my Username and Password and it came up without a problem. No errors, nothing about not finding the domain. Now it will not map any network drives or access the internet.(with the cable plugged back in) If I use the ping or tracert command for anything other than 127.0.0.1 the command prompt crashes and tells me that the command failed. Even if I ping my own address I get the same error. I really don't want to format but will if I have to. Has anyone encountered anything like this.

What is that status of your network adapter?

Sometimes they can get "power managed" into an "off" state.

I've found that turning off the computer and UNPLUGGING it so there isn't any power to the machine at all will cure the problem (wait a few seconds, plug it in, boot up).

Cheap to try, at least!

device manager says that it is working properly. I tried to uninstall it and re-install but no change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back