Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no network

Status
Not open for further replies.

thardy01

Technical User
Dec 9, 2001
US
ok just loaded windows xp pro. for the 4th freaking time it will not even aknowledge that i have a lan card (realtek 8019 isa)attached ive tried installing manually but everytime i do it tells me there is an error with the driver and ive tried about 10 differrent drivers.The part that is really upsetting is that about 3:00am in the morning after 8 solid hours of trying different thing all of a sudden the comp detected it so i jump up with joy as it loads the drivers then i set up email and check email and make sure i have internet connection i do.Then i power the cp off and go to bed next time i power up the cp no freaking lan card!!!!!!!! Any suggestions?

I found the following info at .
It sounds as though your standard NE2000 drivers would work for a 10 Mbit card and I know XP supports NE2000. Hope this helps.

Ray...

Insert Realtek 8019 ISA Ethernet adapter in your PC's expansion slot.
Run "rset8019.exe" to configure and test the adapter, and set the Operating Mode as follow:
set "Operating Mode" to "Jumperless" and set the proper IRQ and I/O. (Write down the IRQ and I/O address for later use)
set "Operating Mode" to "Plug & Play", and reboot the system. (Run rset8019.exe again, and write down the IRQ and I/O address for later use)
Startup the Solaris and log on to Solaris as Superuser(root).

or if you have PNP BIOS then

Change driver to Novell NE2000.
For example, when replacing a 3Com EtherLink III driver with an Novell NE2000 driver, do the following as root:
# mv /etc/hostname.elx0 /etc/hostname.nei0
Now perform a reconfiguration boot to make your changes take effect:
# touch /reconfigure
Edit /kernel/drv/nei.conf to change "ioaddr" and "intr" value specified in step 2.

Warning: The IRQ and I/O address in nei.conf file should match the settings indicated when running the "rset8019.exe" program.
Reboot the system

ok ive tried using NE2000 drivers and the one brief time it worked it was with a Ne2000 driver but now if i load it I get a error 10 (basically system cant find hardware) in the device manger.And reset8019.exe only works for pci cards mine is isa. Startinting toc wonder whether its a problem with my bios or maybe a motherboard driver allthough ive alrea trid changing my drivers. I know the card works because i have win98 loaded to and thats how im on the internet now. Any help greatly appreciated.

Try turning the "Plug n Play OS" setting of your BIOS off and it just might work. Sometimes windows Plug n Play messes with your IRQs and DMAs in a way that it renders old ISA cards useless. By doing the above you do not lose Plug n Play functionality. The only thing you are doing is you are letting your mainboard choose the right settings for ya cards.

OK how do i do that i know how to access cmos but i cant get at it from there

hello people !! have any of you solved the proble of the 8019 intranet with windows xp ?
i today had also a problem instaling it, my computer found the driver, instaled it with no problem, but wen i conected my cable modem it just couldnt access the net, e folowed the advice of " joedabon
POSTED ON: Dec 10

REPLY:
Try turning the "Plug n Play OS" setting of your BIOS off and it just might work. Sometimes windows Plug n Play messes with your IRQs and DMAs in a way that it renders old ISA cards useless. By doing the above you do not lose Plug n Play functionality. The only thing you are doing is you are letting your mainboard choose the right settings for ya cards. "
and after that it worked, for thardy01 that didnt understand about plug and play on the bios, is a parte were there is an option tha says " PNP " witch stands for plug & play, e before going in to the bois, i vefifyed on the startup of the pc, witch IRQ the Network controler "8019" was, it was on irq 5, so i got into the bios and in the options "PNP" , e disabled the autodetect "PCI/ISA" and changed the IRQ5 to ISA only, after that it worked =) i hope i will come to put yours to work too, bye bye =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back