Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Network Connectivity! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chets

Technical User
Feb 7, 2001
GB
I have a wyse term trying to connect to a citrix metaframe server, I know the term is working (I have tried it on a different network) and I know that the network cable and point work cos I have tried them on a PC, but when I tried to connect to the server I get a tcp/ip timeout (this is when I assign it a static Ip address) when I let it do DHCP it says it cant find a DHCP server, am I missing something?
Thanks,

Maybe you have to give your DHCP headings a default gateway....

check it!

greetings,
Danny Schuller
The Netherlands

Are you saying that the PC can make a connection to the Citrix server from the same network point?

Can the Winterm connect from another network point that a different (connecting) Winterm can use?

You shouldn't (in theory) need a default gateway with DHCP.

Maybe the NIC on the Winterm is duff.

WYSE are usually pretty good at sorting that sort of thing out, in my experience - if it is duff, they'll either fix it or replace it - but you'll need to prove it by testing it in various locations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
The PC can connect to our network from this point and to the Citrix server, if the winterm is on another peer-peer network we have then it works OK,

So what are the main differences between the way the network properties are set on the PC to those on the Winterm? Other Winterms?

If the PC can connect to the Citrix server on that point, then the connection's OK.

If the Winterm can connect somewhere else, then the Winterm's OK.

It must be something to do with the way the network client is configured, and/or that particular port on the network.

Does another Winterm work on that port?

I'm guessing that the port may be on a different subnet to the DHCP server.

If that's not the case, try setting the IP address (or better still, the name) of your Citrix Master Browser in the Server Location field on the Winterm.

Good Luck!

I'm having the exact same problem! This is with a Stand-Alone server on a single subnet.

I tried a static address and set the IP of the server in the connection properties.

I hope someone who has these winterms working in this network would let us know how they have thm working.

Thanks,

Jim

What kind of hub/switch are you using between the Citrix Server and the thin clients?

Hi again LilOne,

For myself, I have a 4 port Linksys switch and a 4 port Linksys router. I did disable my router to diagnose my problem so the connection is just going to the switch.

I did recently get an e-mail from wyse regarding this problem. Their comment:

What we may be running into here is that the 2500's ICA client is not fully compatiable with ICA Metafram 1.8 SP3. Unfortunatly the 2500's have been discontinued for some time and there has been no further developement on that platform in some time.

I replied asking them to elaborate as to how they are not combatible. Also, if I revert to a pror SP what should th SP be to get these to work.

Waiting for a responce!

is there anyway that you can upgrade the client? Wyse should be able to give you a package that you can ftp to the thinclient boxes....can you try that?

My fault, I thought you were on MFXP....are you planning on moving to that?

I do have the latest firmware installed on the winterms. Unless, your refering to something else?

I don't find it necessary for us to upgrade to MFXP. I don't think it will solve this problem. Do you?

I beginning to think I'm going to open my pockets to upgrades. It's really to bad because these winterms are working fine using a ica serial connection. We were hoping
to increase our bandwidth using the same hardware.

Oh well!

Jim

I was wondering if wyse had a newer version of the ica client that you could flash onto the units.

Have the units ever worked sucessfully? if so, what was the sp level of the mf server? You could back out of sp3 to get back to sp2 level and try that...

I haven't used wyse term's before so I dont know if this is an option but I have had similar problems with auto negotiating NIC's. try hard setting the link speed / duplex on the terminal and port.

LilOne, I don't believe flashing to a newer ica client is an option. At least it wasn't suggested from the wyse support when they e-mailed me, (see above). To answer the second part of your question, that's also my question to wyse support and I'm waiting for their responce or anyone else who has these winterms functioning on their network.

Armra, there is no control to the connectivity of the NIC in the winterms other than setting an IP and DNS. It defaults to 10Mbps at half duplex. I did try setting my server NIC at that speed with no avail.

Is anyone using the wyse 2500T winterms on their network using MF 1.8 and an ica-tcp connection?

I have isolated this problem to the connection of the terminal to a switch or router or both. In my case I have Linksys routers and switches. I can connect directly to the server with no problem. Add either the switch or the router or even both, no connection and a tcp/ip time out on the terminal. The led's on the Linksys at boot of the terminal shows a link (connection), and 10Bpts at half duplex. As soon as you try to connect the link led drops and so does the connection. Go back to the termanl connection screen the link light goes back on.

I just got off the phone with Linksys. They told me that no wyse products will work with Linksys! I am e-mailing their engineering department to see if I can get more details.

I am also corresponding with Wyse to see if they have any suggestions. I'm going to try reverting to an earlier version of the firware for Wyse, although I have my doubts this will help.

I'll keep in touch.

Jim

If you have a switch try setting the ports on the switch from auto negotation to 100/full or what ever the wyse will except. IF it is a Cisco switch and Spanning tree si running try setting the portfast command on the specific port.

good luck,
Steve

In order to get the wyse 2500T to work I had to connect them to a 10Mbps Hub not an auto sensing switch. If you have a switch that can be manually set to 10Mbps, half duplex that also should work. For some reason the auto sensing switchs cannot negotiate with these terminals. (At least the ones I've mentioned in this thread).

Have fun!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back