Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no network connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry211

Technical User
Jan 14, 2006
GB
Hi, I have done a password reset procedure on an 837 router and have issued the no interface shutdown command on ethernet0 before writing to memory as suggested by the cisco docs, however when the router is first switched on the lan light is lit until the router is fully booted but then it goes out?, help please!

ATM0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Dialer1 unassigned YES NVRAM up up

Ethernet0 192.168.201.239 YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet1 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet2 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet3 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

FastEthernet4 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

Hi, I have tried the router connected to a Netgear hub and also connected directly to my pc's network port.

You would need a crossover cable to connect the router to your PC. Have you tried using different cables? If neither the hub or the PC connection works then perhaps you have a bad cable.

Thanks, sorted it, I should have issued the no shutdown command on Fastethernet1 during the password reset procedure (I only issued it for ethernet0) :)

Yep. As you discovered, each interface is independent of the others and need to be activated separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back