Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no network after replacing mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk1976

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2003
US
Hi -

SO I just replaced my motherboard because my old one bit the dust... I replaced an Epox 8rda+ with a DFI NFII ultra. Both boards use the same nforce2 chipset, so loading windows was no problem (no inaccessible boot device BSOD). However, I can't seem to get the NIC adapter to respond.

I try to ping other machines on my network, and i can see the switch blinking with activity, but pings come back with no response. I can't ping the machine in question from other machines either.

I'm thinking there may be a conflict somewhere. After putting in the new mobo, I went to set my ethernet settings, and when I put in the fixed IP of the machine, it came back and said that the IP was already in use by a hidden device. So I went into the control panel and went to 'add/remove devices'. I noticed that for many devices, they showed up twice (presumably once for the old mobo, and once for the new one). So I uninstalled the nforce drivers, thinking that might help clear out the old NIC information. I reinstalled the drivers and when I went to set the ip information again, it took it without the complaint that it was already in use.

Any ideas of why the ethernet traffic isn't getting anywhere?

I tried the winsockfix.zip utility, but that didn't help any. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I noticed something else in troubleshooting - if I go to another machine and ping the problem machine, I dont get a response but when I run arp -a, it shows the IP and correct MAC address for the problem machine. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it seems like there is very basic communication going on.

That situation describes a Firewall issue exactly. Be careful as there are "hidden" firwalls in many antivirus packages. PC-Illan would cause your issues without question if the firewall feature is not disabled.

Problem solved. Tried reinstalling the tcp/ip stack in windows - no luck. Put in an ethernet card, configured it and it works fine. SO the problem must be in the onboard NIC I was using, as opposed to a windows tcp/ip issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back