Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No Network Adapter Driver After Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM7

Programmer
Oct 27, 2010
Hi everyone. I'm running Windows Server 2003 on a Dell PowerEdge T110 at work.
I'm a programmer, and really stink at hardware configuration stuff. With the boss on vacation and no IT Dept. (we're small) I really hope you guys can help me!

Here's the rundown:
1. I just installed Windows 2003, and it doesn't auto-detect our LAN connection.
2. Going into event manager, it says it failed with some driver/hardware stuff on install.
3. Going into Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, it lists all those pretty yellow ?s for Base System Device and no Network Adapters tab.
4. Clicking on any of them and doing "Reinstall Driver..." where I obviously can't connect to the internet, it prompts for a CD.
5. Putting in either install disk 1 or 2 comes up with "Drivers not found on disk" or something like that.
6. Going on Dell's website, they list about 15 drivers that I could download for Networking, and I have no idea which one to even try, let alone trying all of them.
7. I downloaded Dell's Hardware Diagnosis on my PC and put it on the server and ran it... No errors.

I am LOST. I'm usually really good at finding solutions with Google and I haven't found anything... So yeah, any tips would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Going on Dell's website, they list about 15 drivers that I could download for Networking, and I have no idea which one to even try, let alone trying all of them."

Find the service tag number on back of the computer.
Login to the Dell site, go to support, enter tag. On the far left column, there is a link to give the exact specs of the machine, along with the exact hardware, which should tell you the correct NIC card, then go to the download section. Call Dell if you can not locate the correct hardware, you need not be under warranty to call.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I see everything (motherboard, cpu, hdd) but not NIC. Or am I missing it here?

QuantityParts # Part Description
0 N6830 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE FOR CHAS L5.5/L6
0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 JDJ7F INSTRUCTION..., DEV-PSU, THIRD PARTY MAINTENANCE..., T110
1 4J19H INSTRUCTION..., DEV-L5 CHAS CABLE, T110
1 U508M GUIDE..., GETTING STARTED..., T110, DAO/BCC
1 0R215 Cord, Power, 15A, 125V, 10, 5-15/C13
1 G363N Assembly, Cable, SATA ODD, Motherboard, TBU, T110
4 H275C Dual In-line Memory Module, 1G 1333, 1RX8X72, 8, 240, UBE
1 P071K GUIDE..., PRODUCT..., INFORMATION..., WSI, PE/PV
1 M7YNR Processor, X3430, 2.4/4.8, 8MB, Xeon Unitary Lynnfield, B1
1 2KVW5 Assembly, Cable, SATA HD, Power, T110, V2
1 H259N Assembly, Cable, SATA HD, Primary, T110
1 H962F Hard Drive, 250G, EXPANDABLE SYSTEM..., 7.2K, 3.5 Western Digital, XL320RE
1 MR1W1 PLACEMAT..., SETUP..., POWEREDGE..., 3, WEST...
0 2260R PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEV, SRV, INCRS #1
1 J894K GUIDE..., PRODUCT..., INFORMATION..., SERI, DAO/BCC
1 70P6G Assembly, Digital Video Disk Drive, 16X, Serial Ata, Half Height, Hitachi Lg Data Storage, Enterprise Systems Group
0 5R203 INFORMATION..., FLYER, DOCUMENTATION...
0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 NC451 TECHNICAL SHEET..., CUSTOMER KIT..., POWEREDGE..., WORLD WIDE...
1 P9V78 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., SYSTEM..., THIRD PARTY MAINTENANCE..., PWA INTEGRATED..., T110, V2
1 C470P Heatsink, Central Processor Unit, Mechanical, PET110

OK, problem solved. I installed every NIC driver on Dell's site until one worked. Brute force method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back