Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

no name on caller id 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gezlee

Vendor
Jul 23, 2002
US
I just received a trouble ticket stating that when an external call comes in, only the calling parties number is displayed and not the name. From the tone of the trouble ticket, it looks like a new problem. I can't remeber if we used to get the name and number before. Anyhow, we just ugraded the PBX from G3siV9 to G3siV12. Any ideas??

ISDN PRI usually doesn't support name from the public network..

And ISDN PRI is exactly what I have it set to. I looked at my options and I could make it ATM or IP, would either of these choices be advisable. Of course, I'm not going to make any changes today, but I'm sure the executives are gonna want to see sparks (well, not so much sparks) and hear gears whirring any second now.

Well, like i said ISDN usually doesn't support name, only the latest protocols do.. how long has this PRI been there?

my bet is that it has never worked..

on your trunk group, on the 2nd page is "display name" enabled?

I don't see a display name field on page 2, but I do see send name and send number which I'm thinking applies to outbound calls. And, the customer clarified the trouble as that of a bridged call appearance issue. Apparently, people she has bridged on her phone receiving calls, on her display it only shows the calling party number and not the name of the person being called so that the customer can take a note, for instance let's say I have Ted Bell's ext. bridged to my phone. When Ted get's a call, it used to read out on my display as
call for Bell, Ted
1-888-123-4567. Now she doesn't get half of the call data.
Does that make sense??

You must be a Phil Hendrie fan...

I would call your LEC and ask if they are passing the ANI info over to the switch.

In the future everything will work...

try pressing the 'exit' button under the diplay on the phone, if it is a 84xx series phone. the menu button may have gotten pressed. it times out after a bit and looks like it exited, but it won't until the exit button is pressed.

thanks, tim

Having the name displayed is extra. They will pass ani but you will have to request caller id. This way the name will be displayed.

you can check in the protocol if it is there..
When you do a list trace station you see this line:
< 10:25:25 Calling Number & Name 305561111 NO-CPName >
In this case the number is displayed.
If the name is sent, the number field is displayed with no-CPNumber and the field that is showed here as NO-CPName contains the name.
Also if this is a callcenter user make sure there is no VDN override along the route.

Does anyone know how to setup the caller ID Name to be sent from a Definity to a LEC? Our LEC said this is supported but I am not sure what configurations I would need to change to make sure Name and Number are sent to the LEC

if you have an isdn trunk group it is on the 2nd page, send calling number and send name.

thanks, tim

Well, now I went upstairs, called a number the customer has a bridged appearance of and on her display, it shows
call for joe mucknfudge
123-456-7890.
But, now we noticed that not all incoming calls are showing who they are calling for.

Thanks Tim.

I am using a ISDN-PRI and I do have both Name and number as Y on the 2nd page of the trunk group. It was already that way so there may be something else. I also did a trace on and outgoing call though the PRI and it said No CPname.

Go to page 1 of the trunk form

Outgoing display has to be set to yes

Page 2 Send name and send number must be y

make sure you isdn pub is set up.

If this dont work then you have to have your carrier turn on your caller ID feature.

Outgoing display has nothing to do with caller ID..

All outgoing display does is show the trunk group information on the PBX station when calling outbound..

BuckWeet

It depends on if your LEC offers the service. The LEC has to deliver the name to your switch, with the ANI. I have a G3si here in Southern California with ISDN service from PacBell (SBC). They have a little known service you can add to their local PRI circuits called "Calling Name Delivery" and it will deliver name w/number provided the source is not blocked or otherwise not available. It's added to each PRI T1 (not the incoming DIDs) so it works on all incoming calls on that T1. It's $25/mo for us.

You must be running the NI-2 ISDN protocol and on your PRI trunk group you need to set this field to (y)es:

US NI Delayed Calling Name Update? y

I've had it for about 18 months now, no problems.

I will have to disagree with you BuckWeet.

On SDN networks you can control the number being sent out by the outgoing display on the trunk.

I have ATT ISDN trunks using sdn. The outgoing display will over ride the station form.

IE If i have my station cpn restricted and my outgoing display Y it will send out Jon Doe 555 555 5555.

Ok, I am not sure where the NI-2 ISDN protocol is to check it on the PRI trunk group that TivoNut referenced. I really appreciate everyones help. Hopefully I can get this working.

First call your LEC and find out what protocol you are running.

In the future everything will work...

All I can say about the outgoing display is read the documentation, it'll say exactly what I said..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back