Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No n/w connectivity on new XPpro PC ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbosko

Programmer
Jun 26, 2002
US
Ok, I've reached the end of my debugging rope on this one.

I have a new Dell 2400 PC running WinXPpro - purchased to add to my p2p home network. Its the only XP install I've done that has not been a piece of cake in terms of getting it to see the network.

I can't see other computers on my network, nor do I have internet connectivity.

However, if I map a drive to another computer using its ip address (ie: \\10.0.0.15\c) it is able to map and attach to the drive.

I can ping all other network resources too using their IP address. Strange thing, in my eyes anyway, is that I can ping outside web addresses by their domain names
(ie. ping - and I get responses from all.

Why can't I see my network's workgroup computers? And why can't I get a connection to the internet in my browser (IE)?

THANKS, -Mike

Do you have SP2 installed? can the other pc's see this new pc by computer name?

Is there any firewall (including the XP built-in one) interfering? Some anti virus software have hidden firewalls included in them.

Are your WorkGroup names the same and IP addresses for LAN correct.

Try the Winsock fix downloadable from this site to repair your Internet connections.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

>Do you have SP2 installed?

No, I have no internet access so can't do any updates.

>can the other pc's see this
>new pc by computer name?

Yes, if "view workgroup computers" I can see the new computer. But have no access to it. By that I mean, I get "\\ofcpc is not accessible. You might not have permissions...

>Is there any firewall (including the
>XP built-in one) interfering?

No. I meant to state that before - there is NO firewall installed, or enabled (XP firewall).

>Some anti virus software have ...

There is no antivirus installed on this computer yet.

>Are your WorkGroup names the same
>and IP addresses for LAN correct.

Yes, I can see the computer from other network computers - I just cannot get access to it. ??

>Try the Winsock fix downloadable
>from this site to repair your
>Internet connections.

Hmm, catch-22 here. I have no internet access. I'll see if I can download it and burn it onto a cd.

This is baffling...

>Try the Winsock fix downloadable from
>this site to repair your Internet connections.

Nope, didn't help.

Are you sharing a folder and have you set the permissions to allow access?

What are the other machines operating systems. and your Internet connection, what type is that?

Ok, I've setup a bunch of networks, been in this industry for years - I've done all the basics -unless there's something totally bonehead that I'm missing, the basics have been completed. Folders are shared, and permission on those folders haven't changed - I've installed several new xp boxes and this is the only one having problems.

I disabled the xp firewall.

Other os' are XP - this should be a no brainer.

I've also reviewed the thread at:

I think this thread has something, but its so scattered I'm not sure what to work on, or what might have resolved the poster's issue.

I have a software project backlogged and need to get this computer up so I can start development.

Try this:

Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
Follow the wizard's instructions.

No, actually, disregard that "nevermind".

Cyberfreek ....... wouldn't you suspect that to be the FIRST thing I'd have tried??? ARGH!

Folks, look back and do some searches, this isn't an issue needing an idiots guide. I've done the simple fixes, I've even done the technical fixes. This is an issue. When you look back at previous posts, you'll be surprised to see that not many have been resolved. Yes, some are fixed by firewall issues -but others, I've not seen a resolution for the posters issue - the same issue I'm seeing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back