Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NO MODEM DRIVER FOR NOTEBOOK?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerabc

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
CA
Know that i reinstalled win 2000 pro on my acer notebook....it does not reconize the modem driver for the internet......the last time i had this problem i networked with a friend pc and performed a win update and the problem was sloved......but he is currently on holidays,,,,,,,,,,,what i would like to know is it possible to get the update on my desktop pc and put it on a cd then install to the notebook.............thanks

Yes, you can go to the website of the manufacturer of the modem, download the notebook drivers, slap them on a disk, and load them onto your laptop from there. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

Just to add - you might be able to get by using generic modem drivers for now. Just to see if you can get it to connect. Depends on the brand of modem, though.
If you post your laptop model, we might be able to help you if you're not familiar with doing this type of thing. Just make sure the modem you select is for Windows 2000 if you can.

Good luck. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

special thanks to the two of you....now i have downloaded from the acer web site and the modem driver still will not work,,,,,,,,,,the model is acer travelmate 521txv P3 600........if i could only get connected to another pc then i would be all set but for know any help would be great.........oh and the driver i need is
(lucent technologies soft modem driver) OR the disk i need is lucent technologies soft modem winNT driver disk......thats what it says.......thanks for your help

Get the driver here. It's the same as windows update. THe thing is - with your system, going to windows update only works in detecting your modem with windows XP. Using Windows 2000 makes it very hard to find this driver. The link im posting will take you to the driver you need.

Hope that does it for ya. pbxman
Systems Administrator

thanks for the quick response....i to have been searching but will try the site thanks

ok i downloaded the file,,but when installing it does not give me the chance to install to c: windows temp file,,,,it installes on its own to 1\admini~1\local~1\temp so i allow it to install then i restart and it did not work any advise thanks

That tells me the file was a .zip file that expanded to your temp directory. You'd need to point your modem installation to that directory, or instead of choosing to "unzip" from current location, save file to a known folder, and unzip it to that folder as well. Then when reinstalling drivers for the modem, choose to "specify a location" in the wizard, and point it to that directory.

You're almost there :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

once i double click the modem fie the winzip selfinstaller open and rightaway the file unzips to the folder i mentioned.,....the only option i have is to abort

right-click the link, and choose "save as"..then point it to your desktop or a known location you can find it in. Note: if you go through the modem install wizard and specify your location to that directory, windows should be able to find the files you've unzipped there. It's just a matter of working with Windows. pbxman
Systems Administrator

right click what link?????i have the zip file on a disk

sorry...it must be a self-extracting.exe file you're referring to. In that case - reinstall the modem using the temp directory as your destination. pbxman
Systems Administrator

thats what i would like to do butv it opens right away after i double click the modem file.......how can i get it to stop the fast unzipping....when i try it ask if i would like to abort...

Let it unzip where it is. Just reinstall the modem, but specify your location (when installing the modem) as the temp directory path that the files extracted to. pbxman
Systems Administrator

i am pulling out my hair nothing is working.......i even fould other drivers that i need and they will not install

once again i tried some more drivers the problem is that some will start to download and at 75ish percent complete it stops and closes....why is this happening

can someone just let me know where to install the modem driver thanks

One thing you can do is create a folder on the C drive called MODEMDRIVERS and plunk them in there. I do that a lot when I download or get drivers, so I know exactly where they are.

If the modem is detected in the Device Manager, you can choose to upgrade the driver, then choose the one in the folder you created. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

thanks jen will try and let you know

no luck i performed the driver update ....the modem is there but when i dial out it rings once then disconnects,,,,as if no answer or wrong number
??????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back