Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No logon servers available to service the logon request

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgilmore

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
US
Hello. I have a Win2K Pro machine setup in a Win2k server domain. I changed my DNS settings to use the new 2K server machine as the DNS server and when I try to access this machine across the network I receive an error "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request". This not only happens when I try to access the server but when I try to access any of the computers in the domain. Also, after I changed the DNS setting I re-booted because I received this error. When I brung the computer back up, I put in my password and it took like 10 minutes before it went to loading personal settings and well I went to lunch (1hr) and when i returned it finally gave me my desktop. Any ideas what could be happening here? Any help that you may provide would be greatly appreciated.
TGilmore

Hello. I forgot to include, no one else on the network has this problem. All of our computers are running DHCP and are setup the same way. Thank you again.

hhmm.. If it was me in your chair, I'd break out of the domain and go back to WORKGROUP, reboot, rejoin the domain and reboot and hope it works..

I'm assuming this new DNS server is doing the authentication on your domain??? I'm just thinking there might somethin in your cash or whatever that is stilling wanting to check out your old server..
Good Luck and please let me know what happens!!
snooter "tis better to be thought of as a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Thank you for your reply. I took your advice and joined a Workgroup then rebooted (took an hour or more) and re-joined the domain then rebooted (took an hour or more). DNS seems to be functioning on our network as it should with the other clients which leads me to believe there MUST be something wrong with my machine alone. I will research further in the meantime if anyone has ANY idea of what may be going on, please help! Thank you in advance.
TGilmore

You said you changed your dns settings to your dns server, but you are using DHCP. Are you not getting your dns settings through dhcp? Maybe try removing and readding TCP/IP to change everything back to the default. I have also seen this problem when there was an old LAN connetion that was no longer in use, but was set up for DHCP cause the problem.

Hello! It is a Beautiful Day! I am proud to relay to you that the problem has been fixed! I uninstalled Norton Personal Firewall and that did the trick. I no longer have to wait an hour to boot up and I can connect to my server's files. Thank you for all of your replies.
TGilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back