Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No lock in query for SSIS Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryant24

MIS
Mar 16, 2011
US
Hi,

I am creating an SSIS package where I am pulling data from tables on foxpro and putting the data into a table in SQL. Is there a way to make sure the table does not lock when I am pulling the data from FoxPro so other users can still access the table?

First of all it's recommended you use the Foxpro OleDB Provider for an SSIS Package. Then it's part of the connection properties to have shared access, which is the default.

Extended connection properties: In Access Permission "Share Deny None" is the default and OK.

Bye, Olaf.

I am using the Foxpro OleDB Provider in the SSIS, and I have "Share Deny None" in permissions, but when I am running the SSIS package... I am unable to access the database still

Out of curiosity, is "the other way" you're accessing the database attempting to open the data exclusively?

What error message are you getting? What, exactly, is failing?

Yes I am just just doing a simple select from the database and it tells me access is denied. I want to still be able to access the database when my SSIS package is running. Sorry, I am new to FoxPro.

Foxpro defaults to exclusive access.

Either issue SET EXCLUSIVE OFF in the command window before doing anything (this needs to be done every time you run VFP), or...

From the menu: Tools -> Options, Data tab, uncheck "Open exclusive", click the "Set as default" button (this will be in effect every time you run VFP).

"Yes I am just just doing a simple select from the database and it tells me access is denied."

Perhaps it was made clear above or not.

When your Foxpro/Visual Foxpro application uses a data table, it can use it EXCLUSIVE or not (a.k.a. SHARED).
Some VFP application are created to default to EXCLUSIVE use of table and others (most) do not.

That can limit your ability to access that table as another user within the VFP application or from the 'outside' world.

It sounds as though your VFP application is quite possibly using the data table EXCLUSIVE thereby preventing your SSIS from accessing it.

"I want to still be able to access the database when my SSIS package is running."

If the data table is in use EXCLUSIVE, you either have to change the VFP application to not use it EXCLUSIVE or you have to wait until is it no longer in use.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

You're not very clear about where the error occurs. In Foxpro or a Foxpro Application or in your SSIS package.

As you've got the SSIS package to use shared access I assume it's rather not the SSIS package.

If Dan and JRB-Bldr hit the nail, the problem is not, that SSIS blocks other access, but that Foxpro or the Foxpro app requitres exclusive access. See? The problem can come from both sides, here SSIS surely is not the evil side blocking access. If a file is open shared you cannot access it exclusively.

Foxpros defaults are something I question, but having exclusive access is developer friendly of course, as a developer then can easily make table alterations on the fly. As Foxpro is the development environment it's main intent is to let the developer do his work, not the user.

You (or let's say I) typically have a rpoduction and a test- and development version of your databases and work with the developer version in Foxpro, in the test database in testing and in the production database with the final product.

Your usage of foxpro is rather an administrative usage. Do as dan suggests and the problem will go away.

Bye, Olaf.

mak101 - if your question, while possibly related, is a new one, you should start a new thread by posting your question separately - not as an addition to someone else's question.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back