Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

No link between Nortel and Cisco 100baseT

Status
Not open for further replies.

atonns

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2005
US
I have started this thread over in the Nortel forum ( but I figured I would ask here as well, since it involves both platforms. There are more details (switch configs) in the Nortel thread. Thanks!

Tony

--- question below ---

I have a 8616GTE in my Passport 8600 and I'm trying to trunk it to a WS-X5234 in my Catalyst 5500 (link the new Nortel network to the old Cisco gear for testing). I've got a sigle port connected with a single crossover cable, but I'm not getting any link. I know the port is good and the cable is good, as I can connect the Passport 8600 to a BayStack 5510-48T using the same cable & port.

I've worked around this by connecting 8608GBE with a 1000baseSX GBIC to my WS-X5550, also with a 1000baseSX GBIC. However, I want to know - am I going mad or shouldn't this "just work"?

Problem solved - the 8616GTE is 1000TX only. The Cisco blade is 10/100 only. That's an important distinction.

Kudos to goodingsd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back